Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AKG K1000 › Reviews › tmarshl's Review

My Last Headphones

A Review On: AKG K1000

AKG K1000

tmarshl

Pros: Soundstage, Imaging, Transparency

Cons: Require Recabling and Specific Amplification

Well, I have tried all of the great headphones over the last few years (Stax, Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, Audeze, Beyer Dynamic, etc.) and I have returned to my all-time favorite K1000s with Stefan Audio Arts Equinox cabling - driven by a Macintosh C2200 tube preamplifier and a First Watt F1 amplifier.   What brings me back is the incredible soundstage, the imaging and the transparency of the sound.   I no longer listen to the system - I listen to the music.    What more could I ask.  I am re-listening to my entire music collection with such appreciation for the incredible performances.    I am really happy with the K1000s in this configuration.  Of course I will keep listening to other offerings (it is a hobby after all), but it will take a lot for me to switch from these great "earspeakers".

I actually don't consider this as a headphone at all, even for an open-headphone itself. It's more like a portable speaker-box tied to a headband. Maybe AKG should rebrand this as "headspeakers" instead.
@Above Uh, they were marketed as earspeakers, not headphones.
since you couldn't check the K-1000 against the LCD-X when you wrote this review, you might be interested in a short comparison:
Sorry I'm sticking to the surround sound system