Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AKG K 702 Headphones › Reviews › Prog Rock Man's Review

Detail

A Review On: AKG K 702 Headphones

AKG K 702 Headphones

Prog Rock Man
Posted · 248 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: Detail

Cons: Detail

Can you have too much of a good thing? Going by the various threads and reviews of the K702s, yes. These cans give you so much detail it is not true. Sounds appear that have never been heard before in the background of familiar tracks. That satisfies some and manages to irritate others. i did not understand that until recently.

When I first got my K702s I only had open backed headphones. But the demands of family life and travel meant that my next few purchases were closed backed to limit noise leakage, of which the K702s have loads.

I then got used to the deeper more bloomy bass, in your head sound and echo like resonance of closed backed cans.

Returning one day after a few months of no use, when home alone to the K702s, I realised how dry then can sound. The lush sound had gone, replaced instead with 'put you in the recording studio' levels of detail and clarity. I kept taking them off because I thought I could hear noises in the house. That was caused by the big sound stage and that detail flooding back again.

For me that is superb, But I can understand why for others it is too much.

1 Comment:

Good sound, overly analytical, lacking in deep bass.
You wont describe the sound of these cans as "warm", as they are never warm no matter the source, but they are precise.
Could be described as the antithesis of the Sennheiser 650 sound.
If digging around in your music with a microscope is your game, then these will get you up and running.
If on the other hand you are looking for lush beauty, then these will leave you stranded.