Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › AKG K 702 Black

AKG K 702 Black

Pros: Excellent clarity and detail

Cons: bass richness not as soul pumping as others, long time to burn in

It took a good long time to burn these puppies in. From forum advice put 120 odd hours burn in on them before I critically judged them them.

In truth I almost sold them. Not because they weren't excellent headphones but just because my personal taste is for richer more warming base rather than the cold precise clarity they were giving me.

But from laziness i kept them about and ended up using them as my every day cans for a week when others like my Denon AH-D2000s were elsewhere and I have to admit I fell back in love with them.

They had plenty in that the likes of the denons or cheaper bose couldn't emulate with a whole band of clarity they would produce in sounds you just wouldnt hear with other cans. In addition the positioning is awsome. I often found myself thinking noises were outside my door or pulling off my cans to check it wasnt real from movies and TV series.

However they still dont make me melt like my Denons do.

Its not that the AKG 702s cant produce amazing base or the same warmth, it's that the clinical detail dwarfes its ability. It's Pro is almost it's con in that regard.

If you like classical music, strings, guitar or clear punctual techno or anything that deserves clear detailed reproduction you'll love these. For wider orchestral warmth, heart thumping base or more broad musical blending probably best look elsewhere.

Pros: Highs, Details, Audotory Elaborance,

Cons: Headband design conflicts with my bald head and creates discomfort

These headphones can be described in one term: acurate. Given you provide sufficent amplification (I primarilary use a Fiio e7) these will emit the source material verbatim to original sound. These are non-embellishing. If you run crap mp3's through these you'll hear exactly that. Expect zero coloration from the Akg K 702's.

bigsmile_face.gifThese are overall exceptional cans.

AKG K 702 Black
By:

Venerable industry leaders in recording studio headphones now give us the AKG K701 and K702 audiophile models, both top-of-the-line full-size reference headphones with fabulous punch, a wholly engaging front-row musical presentation, and complete competence across the entire audio spectrum. The K702 are nowhere near their sonic potential right out of the box; patience and a long break-in period will be rewarded with a lovely headful of beautiful tunes. Truly top-notch world-class headphones.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › AKG K 702 Black