Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AKG Acoustics K240 Monitoring Headphones › Reviews › Headzone's Review

Surprisingly good. Underrated maybe?

A Review On: AKG Acoustics K240 Monitoring Headphones

AKG Acoustics K240 Monitoring Headphones

Headzone
Posted · 3198 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: Sounds good with all genres.

Cons: Sounds slightly "grainy".

Found these classic headphones at my local thrift store for 20$! I just had to pick them up immediately when I saw them. Lucky I was, they were in perfect working order, and also cosmetically in a good shape.

The sound?

When I first heard them, I was really surprised. Since they were "monitor" headphones I expected them to sound ear piercing, with little or no bass, but wrong I was. The AKG's have a natural warm sound with solid bass and plenty of detail.

So let's compare them against the 400$ Sennheiser HD600's, and see how they hold out?

Bass:

The AKG's have slightly more oomph than the Sennheisers, but the nature of the bass is very similar; it has a nice mid bass impact, but is never overpowering. However I find the Sennheiser's bass to be tighter, while the AKG's sound slightly "bloated" at times. Both have a bass rolloff at around 50hz.

Mids:

I find the Sennheiser's have slightly more "tight" mids, in a way they sound sharper, more accurate. Sennheiser also has the edge on instrument separation maybe due to this. The K240M sound slightly compressed in comparison.

Highs:

I found the highs in the HD600's to be somewhat cleaner, more "airy" and sparkly, than the AKG's. AKG's top end sounds slightly "grainy" in comparison.

Overall:

When compared with the HD600's, the K240M's don't sound bad at all, which is quite impressive considering the HD600's cost 4 times more.

This is just a quick review, I will edit this later. Now off to sleep!

1 Comment:

Hi, may be you try the K240 DF and compare again....! I guess it will fit much better to the Sennheiser HD 600 benchmark.
BR heinz