Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Computer Speakers › Adam Audio A5X Powered Studio Monitor (5.5 inch, 100 watts) › Adam Audio A5X Powered Studio Monitor (5.5 inch, 100 watts) Reviews

Adam Audio A5X Powered Studio Monitor (5.5 inch, 100 watts) Reviews

rfox

Upscale desktop setup - especially with the Sub7 combination (2.1)

Pros: Very neutral - clean highs and solid mids - bass is great alone but the extra punch of the Sub7 makes them a fantastic 2.1 setup!

Cons: Not for everyone due to size and price

I wanted a high-end desktop 2.1 system - After much research and sound trials, I ended up combining the Fiio Alpen E17 DAC and the E09K Desktop Amp for a powerful combination together with 2 Adam A5Xs and the Sub7 bass.   The sound is amazing for near field monitors - very neutral - and the highs are brilliant (due the the X-Art tweeters) - Although these speakers are active and have their own amplification, when combined together with a decent DAC and additional amplification, they really shine.  For the price performance, they really offer studio quality levels:
armeko

Great neutral monitor for use in a small room. I use these to mix (a little) and listen (a lot) as part of a desktop set up.

Pros: Good soundstage, detailed with enough bass. The smaller a3x lacks (too much) bass. Although the bigger a7x as more bottom end the a5x delivers enough.

Cons: None that I can think off. Then again I don't have any other monitors to compare to

I purchased these as part of a desktop set up. I use them to mix (logic) or listen music. Rest of the set up: iMac > usb out via M2tech hiface II > metrum acoustics > adam a5x. Beware, I don't have any other experience with monitors in this setting.   The a5x are positioned in the middle between the smaller a3x and bigger a7x (I think a a8x also has been released). The overall sound is balanced and clear with a good soundstage. Especially in a desktop set up I find them delivering on all fronts. I checked out the smaller a3x but these lacked too much in the bass department. The a7x were good, but to big (and pricier) for my taste. Top end is present but not harsh. A...