Posts by alcyst

There are 2 Apple remotes, one for things like Apple TV, which you could use in place of a Wadia+iPod; the other remote is the app for the iPhone/iTouch works via wifi. You could sue the second to control a laptop feeding a DAC, again instead of a Wadia+iPod. I think thats the 2 uses? Again welcome to head-fi. Warning, you should be ok with the dynamic crowd, just be careful about those Stax guys, they get pretty spiritual about their headphones.
"but not add unnecessary file size"..."I don’t really care how big the files get". Not sure here. All lossless formats (and FLAC & AIFF) should be ...lossless and CD quality. I am not an expert, but Apple and FLAC use some compression, AIFF and WAV don't. Apple may be the most efficient sizewise, but will require the CPU to do more work when un-compressing. Apple is proprietary, so they could change some standard on you at some stage in the future. Don't think iPods...
There are a few people here with QNAP NAS, anybody tried the NMP 100? I don't know the details, but it seems to have an S/PDIF output.
Wonder if we are predisposed to hearing sound or whether everyone can be nudged over that edge. I think some of us just need that first little push... I had decided to buy CD player - amp - speakers and was auditioning stuff in Richer Sounds in Dublin. None of it sounded very different, but I had picked out a set of bookshelf speakers. Then, choice made, I got brave and visited Cloney Audio in Blackrock. They had the same bookshelf pair, but made me listen to TDL...
Why not? They are great units. Though with a Sonos, just as with any media server type setup, is the "Source component" the HD, the computer (if one is in the data stream), the Sonos, or a DAC? I have a Sonos setup and went to my local high-end audio shop for advice on what sort of DAC would go well with my ZP90. Would an EMU 0404 be sensible, or would a higher end DAC get better SQ. The answer surprised me. The guy thought medium range DACs (PSAudio Digital Link...
I had never heard of it either, and really struggled to explain what I was looking for in one shop. Then when I ordered an amp with XLR inputs the sales guy (Mario, Studio Economik, Montreal) took 1 look at a screen shot of the 0404, knew exactly what they were and sold me a set from Hosa.
Total entries : 229 Entry-level: ------------------ Apogee Duet (2) Asus Essence STX (4) Audio-gd Compass (12) Behringer DEQ2496 (2) Behringer SRC2496 (1) Beresford TC-7510 (2) Beresford TC-7520 (3) Beresford TC-7520 SE (Caiman) (2) Cambridge Audio DacMagic (12) Cambridge Audio Dacmagic2 (1) Creative Xmod (1) Devilsound DAC (1) Edirol UA-25 (1) EMU-0404 (7) EMU-1212m (1) Firestone Audio Fubar II (1) Gamma1 (4) Headamp Pico dac only (9) Headamp Pico...
is that a bad edit at 1:54-1:55?
Came across this Topic recently, it deteriorated to "tracks with lots of bass" quickly. Plenty of good albums out there; Paul Brady's Spirits Colliding (1995) is well produced and has some good songs with a mix of vocals, acoustic, and electronic/rock elements. Bela Fleck, the Wootens, & The Corrs (!) appear in parts of it. I just love the track "The world is what you make it". Some of the stuff off Talking Timbuktu, Ry Cooder & Ali Farke Toure is great. Maxwell's...
SR-007Mk2 and SRM-007tII are the top end for Stax, AKA the Omega sytem. The limited edition SRM 600 seems to be higher end than the SRM-007tII? Though there are plenty (some?) here who believe the Stax amps are wretched and only a RSA or Woo amp will do justice. Not sure if I am saying this tongue in cheek or not. Have a look at the Stax thread, it's in Main Forum/High End Forum.