Posts by alcyst

ka boom tish   Thnak you
YoYou probably mean North Central & Eastern Europe
"I find tube rolling with the BHSE to be very difficult. I think the only real way your can get an accurate feeling for what the differences are is to have two BHSE going at the same time"   Either this says it is too close to call, so stop worrying...or you need a pair of matched BHSEs, with matched tubes. Colour code those BHSEs, the cooler (sound) with a blue front plate, the silver plate for the one with harder sound.
"my PX4s, that the left tube itself emits an audible pinging sound for the first 5 minutes or so, during warm up."   I emailed Craig about this, and the explanation was that tubes can be microphonic, and the pinging is the amplified sound of the heat expansion of some of the parts! Guess it is why "thermal cycling" (turning them on & off, they heat-up expand, cool down contract) reduces the life of tubes.
A key part of speaker testing is the knuckle rap. Joke; no reason the same method shouldn't apply to DACs, cables, tonearms.
You have to be careful with the auditioing choices. I used some favourite tracks to test equipment a while back, and now would prefer not to listen to those pieces. I still like them but got over-exposed. There is something to be said for a bunch of test tracks where is there no emotional contamination. On the other side picking tracks you respect but don't like (?) makes the auditioning more like work. I can see how professionals would have their "stuff I like" and...
Any more of this enthusiasm and we will have to start a Blue Hawaii GreenPinkTeal Special Edition forum. Should have read; Any more of this faceplate nonsense and we shall have to start a; Headamp PinkTeal Hawaii Special Edition
Saw some figures from an analyst a while ago, all ipod sales have fallen to nominal levels for Apple as a whole, they may still be profitable, but low importance.   On capacity, don't think they have changed in yonks? I know I've seen hacks about getting much bigger drives in (so technically not a big deal), but Apple havn't revisited the product in years.
Pelican? No way! You gotta go with Stormcase. Or at least you did until Pelican bought, not sure if the quality has changed.   Apparently the "truck driving over a case" demonstration is more show than substance.
Odd reaction to think of price gouging first;   Some of the ones I've noticed; Abbingdon Music Research DP-77 (?)   EUR3600      "two separate DACs; a HD 32-Bit DAC and a Classic 16-Bit DAC " Anedio D2 DAC USB1500    ESS Technology ES9018 Sabre Reference 32-bit DAC Antelope Audio Zodiac    EUR1,600-EUR3,000 April Music Eximus DP1   USD3200   TI PCM1794A Arcam R33 "only" stg2000 "2x Burr Brown 24-bit 192kHz Advanced Segment Delta-Sigma" ATOLL DAC200 ...