Posts by alcyst

Good point. Now that you mention it a lot of DACs put out a lot more than 2V. A PSAudio outputs 2.8v which is a bit hot for some amps, I run it at 75%.
You can switch off the preamp in the Hugo, risky idea if you are forgetful & use headphones but good if you want to bypass the Hugo's amplifier.From the manual:"Volume BypassPress and hold the Crossfeed switch whilst turning on to activate volume bypass mode. The volume control will illuminate light blue to indicate line level output. Using bypass mode, Hugo can be used as a standalone DAC"
"Between heaven and earth"?Cinematic stuff.Bit puzzled here, A R Rahman did do the soundtrack for the film "Warriors of Heaven & Earth", Qobuz lists an album called "between heaven and Earth" with a track Dacoit Duel.
+1
You are harsh. A wikipedia page on psychoacoustics puts it nicely; "Hearing is not a purely mechanical phenomenon of wave propagation, but is also a sensory and perceptual event". A small example might be that people who spend time comparing systems have a list of test tracks, which they have no music emotion about, but can hear all the detail. You choose stuff you don't care about so you don't get distracted when test listening. There is plenty of reading out...
Having cold weather headphones and warm weather headphones in the UK is like having specific headphones for Barry Manilow's Bell Records releases, i.e. the first 2. I'm in Dublin so I can hardly plead any different.
This website has plenty of discussion on good sound vs enjoyable sound, with this forum being a bit more oriented to "good" sound. Before someone gets into discussing immaculate recordings of appalling acoustics and vice versa....   ...the current version of the New Scientist website has an article titled "Reverb: Why we dig messy sound" 29 December 2014 by Trevor Cox, Magazine issue 3000.  Subscription...
 You went for a wide VTI, the BLG503? Their website isnt pretty, but your photo looks clean. Once you have 2+ warm amps & their PSUs you need to go wide. At one stage I was looking at a Box Furniture unit, but the UK dealer never got back to me. I ended buying a nice HiFiRack Podium Reference in a wide (780mm) size. A chunky piece, it is solid, looks well, and with 5 shelves it holds most things; multiple amps, 2x DAC, and a couple of headphone stands.
My memory is iPods & most small mobile players have low output. Usually they are feeding more efficient IEMs rather than big open headphones. My PSAudio puts out upto 2.5volts, iPod might be no more than 1.
Did I read something about the principal of KR Tubes...retiring perhaps dying? There are very few PX4s for sale out there from any of the valve sellers.