Posts by moodyrn

But of course your welcome to come over and listen to its much bigger brother (2205). It's something pretty special.
Lol, I painfully sold it. I was using it exclusively for bedroom duties. Now that I have a 16 month old who refuses to sleep I his bed, I wasn't able to enjoy it like I'd hoped. So that left me with the decision to limit my self to two rigs....fisher with quad esl 57/w3000 and mcintosh mc2205/c39 with heavily modded acoustat esl/he6.
I'll go ahead and list my integrated list as well. Mcintosh ma6200 Kenwood ka-701 Sansui au-9500 Fisher x-100c Sansui au-11000 Sansui au-999 Sansui au-517
He didn't list solid state as a criteria. Speaking specifically of vintage receivers. I will list only the ones I've owned I order of preference.Fisher 500cSansui g-9000Pioneer sx-1250Sansui 9090dbPioneer sx-1280Marantz 2330bKenwood kr-9600Pioneer sx-1010Marantz 23252-8 are not far apart and overal on same playing field. And each one have strengths and weaknesses over the other. Although I've never owned the Mac 4100, it's essentially an ma6200 with a tuner. That one it...
Big congrats Matt on scoring the 500c. I'm really glad you found one already brought up to spec in good condition. I know some of you might read some of his impressions and think it's just new toy enthusiasm. But I can tell you after owning mine for sometime, I can completely concur with his impressions. Many of you know I'm a macintosh guy now, the only thing that I've owned that surpass every mac component that I've had in my house has been the 500c. My mc2205 edges it...
  Welcome to headfi and more importantly, this thread lol. Great first post, there have been many eye openers around here the first time someone plugged their cans into the headphone jack of a nice vintage iron. I'm an ortho lover myself, and for not much money, I can recommend a pair of mad dogs just to get you feet wet if it's closed your after. If you don't mind open cans, then the newly released hifiman he-400i is getting a lot of positive reviews. Do you have a budget...
Yep pretty spot on on the mc2500. The one I used to own was just a touch noisy with a beautiful tonal balance. So I restored it including replacing most of the transitors, especially the noisy ones, with low noise trans and the noise floor was greatly improved. It was whisper quiet out of my sensitive cans. It's a very good amp and excellent once restored properly. Restoring one is realatively simple. There's not a lot of parts, it's the design and output transformers that...
Nice score on the pioneer. It looks good and the few issues are very minor and even still, you got it at a very good price. Congrats.
I ended up spending around 58.00 total on caps, with a big chunk of that being main filter caps. It took a couple of days to do everything. I probably could have gotten it done in one day. But once I start to get a little fatigue, I always stop. Working on this stuff while fatigue can surely lead to make simple but costly mistakes. But it was fun overall. I was able to take a listen after completing each phase in the restore progress. I can't wait to hear how a restored...
Thanks, I was pleased with how the final sound came out.