or Connect

Posts by originalsnuffy

Yes, I was comparing the HO.  For line out, one needs to use the 30 pin connector which I find less convenient.  Generally I do not care for carrying around extra stuff.  Small, for me, is beautiful.  Which is why I like the Shanling and the X3 II.   Mileages will vary. I certainly have little interest in cap upgrades when I can just purchase a more advanced unit like the X3 II, for example.  Again, its a matter of personal preference.
Did somebody mention a tour?
Sound:  X3 II is more refined yet listenable.   Power:  Gobs compared with ipod 5.5 g   Hiss:   impedance can be an issue with the ipod.  As in hiss with some headphones. I found Rockbox can tame that, however.  Almost never hear about impedance issues with the X3.   Versatility:  native DSD.  Handles hi res with aplomb.    Downside?   Hard to read in sunlight.  There are modified firmwares available that help.    Some features have been removed from support...
Nick, devil that he is, has indicated that I will like the new M5 even more.  
 This "Lavricables" sounds promising.  Do they have a thread for their CCK cable?  My quick perusals made it seem like performance is hit or miss with current firmware.  This is more likely an Apple issue; but I would be buying this to make things better than the current sad state of affairs with the CCK and perhaps the Lavricable is not fully there yet. One user had to return his.  Now true, Lavricable took it back, but then again I would prefer to know that it just...
You know, the question of carrying multiple devices is a good one.  The Mojo is really something special; but using it is kind of a pain in the rear with anything but a FIIO.  I mean reliable operation with an iphone was pretty iffy, and use as a computer DAC was OK but not great.  It was rock solid with the X3 (both generations) as a transport.   I do hope the T3 sounds good on its own.  Or that maybe there is a T5 with better DAC and AMP sections.  I do prefer an all...
hgpardo,   The X1 is not a good signpost for the X3 Gen II.   I owned, for a long time, a Video ipod 5.5g with the Wolfson chip.  Eventually I modded it to 256gb.  And also Rockboxed it.   I also have owned the first and second generation X3 units, the X1, and listened to the X5 Gen II on tour.    So at least I have the experience base to respond.  Whether you agree with my thoughts or not, at least I have tested the range.   First, the ipod 5.5g sounds good. ...
Golov:   No pouch came with mine. I purchased the case as my unit was becoming hot to the touch.  At least in my perception.   I am not sure on the 8000 song limit but that might be the case.    My unit crashes sometimes when I transfer files to it.  It may be  a hardware issue per Shanling, but the crashes happen mainly when I do file transfers.   Personally I would bet that it is a bug in the firmware.  The firmware seems to share common roots with FIIO.  FIIO...
I personally think the X3 sounds much better than the X1 through the line out. I sold my X1, as I found its sound to be harsh for extended listening. I love the X3 series (both generations) but the X3 II is less colored and more open sounding.
Perhaps we should take the testing offline ?