or Connect

Posts by refault

Do you think that iRiver/AK might have changed or tweaked the software digital filters in-between firmware versions? I grabbed an RWAK120-B last fall (2014) that had 1.40 pre-loaded on it, and it provided a very "liquidy" sound that, while hyper-detailed and nuanced, sounded slightly smeared/indistinct at the same time. I installed 1.42 about a month ago and felt that the sound became a little more lively, but it might have just been placebo as any difference between the...
I've had this same issue when trying to setup my AK120 as a "USB DAC" as well, since it seems as if the AK120 lacks a true/dedicated USB DAC audio output device capability, even though it is marketed as having "USB DAC" functionality (only up to 24/96, though, since iriver has never released a dedicated USB DAC driver for the AK120--however, they've released dedicated USB DAC drivers for the AK240 and the new AK380 for full-functionality as a USB DAC up to 24/384 and...
I agree with this... when combined with the Sennheiser HD650s (balanced), I find the ALO Rx Mk3-B+ to sound a little distant, with mediocre soundstaging and imaging, being overall a generally boring sound-signature (with or without the bass-gain knob turned on.) However, when listening to the HD650s out of my Duet, the soundstage and imaging become quite impressive and expansive, making the overall sound-signature of the HD650+Duet pair quite fun to listen to. With lower...
I didn't have to install any drivers. It works great as a USB DAC in the latest OSX Yosemite. Streams native DSD via DoP in Audirvana+ over the USB. Selectable up to 24bit/384kHz in Audio MIDI Setup. I do have it connected via a Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier, though... but I'm assuming it should be the same when directly plugged into your Mac's USB ports. I don't use iTunes, but it should work as a USB DAC for iTunes as well. For files on the device itself, not sure about...
Try to unplug the USB cable and hold down the power button for 5+ seconds. If it still doesn't turn on, plug the USB cable back in and hold down the power button to try and turn it on. I had a similar issue as well, unplugging the USB cable from the charger and holding down the power button fixed it for me. Did the battery icon w/ a charge symbol show up the first time you tried to turn on the device (or when you first plugged it into the USB outlet/Mac)?
Just received the Calyx M in the mail earlier today from Poimandres for an amazing price... the device is in excellent condition, practically like new. Been enjoying it ever since I took it out of the box, especially the USB DAC ability of the Calyx M on my Macbook Air. The internal XMOS USB chipset in the Calyx M makes it behave like a "real" USB DAC (unlike the lower-end Astell&Kern DAPs that only go up to 24/96 when connected as a USB "DAC".)   I've been able to...
Any idea when the ALO Rx will be restocked (and black color options available)? Hope I'd be able to pick one up soon.
Fairly interested in this player to use mostly at my desk as a secondary USB DAC (connected to my MacBook AIr), and a DAP as well with my IE800 and K3003is. Does anyone know how the USB DAC section/ability holds up in comparison to its DAP ability? I'm assuming that with the latest firmware, I'll be able to charge the Calyx M + listen via USB DAC connected to my MacBook Air, correct?   Thanks. Looking for something a little different from my RWAK120-B + Cypher Labs Duet...
I've just had to send back my IE800 recently as well, due to the right driver dying. I also had issues with stiffness of the left earpiece cable, but didn't want to wait for the RMA/repair shipment just to fix a stiff cable. However, after the right driver stopped working, I pretty much had to send it back to Sennheiser. I shipped back my IE800s last week Monday, and they contacted me today to double-check my purchase invoice. So, they're still being processed at the...
How does the SR-71B pair with the K3003i?   I've been looking for a slightly smaller amp to pair with my RWAK120-B that has a balanced Kobiconn line-in, and the RSA SR-71B seems to fit seemingly well with the RWAK120-B form factor judging from the pictures I've seen posted of them stacked together.   Any thoughts on how the pairing of the K3003i w/ the SR-71B might compare to the Rx-Mk3-B+ and AlgoRhythm Duet amps? Thanks.