Posts by Monkee

Pull-through sharpeners won't do anything for your blades other than keep them fairly blunt - in fact, as an ex-chef I can say that every knife I've ever seen sharpened on a pull through was blunter than the worst sharpening effort of first-timers on whetstones, wetstones or even drystones. Pull-through sharpening gives a 50/50 bevel, and many knives are sharpened for handedness either to single bevel or 30/70 (right-handed). Less commonly found are 20/80 etc (and...
Do prices include/exclude shipping? if so, to where?
hi wakibaki,   I'm truly sorry for your loss also. I poked my head into the DIY forum expecting to read a guide on something, and clicked through to find something much more important. You have every right to fully grieve the loss of your feline friend - while detractors can say what they may, a cat can be loyal, funny, intelligent, dedicated, gentle, rambunctious and such a massive part each of our lives.   That he came home says so much about your bond with him...
I've got to say in this case I'd go toward Sennheisers, but I loved my AKG's after the clamping effect wore off, and I can highly recommend a second-hand pair of K601's for just about the top end of your budget. The plushness of the sennheisers is certainly comfy for long hours of late night lightening. Denon / Audio Technica have such hard cups on their nice 'phones imo.
  It really seems like the OP has under-amped the 598 and is happy with the sound signature of this, but underamping the any of the AKG high-end cans (K701/Q701/K702 results in a thin, lifeless sound. This is precisely why a desktop amp like the HeadRoom Desktop or Musical Fidelity M1 HPA, which delivers sufficient voltage/current to allow the diaphragm to do it's thing. Even the headphone output stage of a 1970's integrated amp would be better than the E9 the OP is using...
You're not going to get real double bass from a 60mm max diaphragm without it sounding woofy. It can't even try to go that low with confidence and coherence. Given that, I'd be looking at the T1 or HD800, but also check out the HD700, which is new, and and said to be more 'musical', and to have a little more bass.I totally disagree with the in-between step suggested - the street price of the 702 may be a little lower than the 950 but sonically, it is very much its peer....
I have the same issue with my K702s running unamped, and but through the M1 HPA they sound lovely to me. I feel like you bought them on looks and you like the bass-featured, and closer and warmer sound of the sennheisers, so you may just not like them. Having said that, I listened to a pair of 702s with an extra hundred and fifty hours on them compared to mine, and they sounded completely different... Didn't expect it, and wouldn't have believed it... it was bizarre....
hey guys, do you have any retailers (or even previous purchasers) of this in Sydney who'd be willing to let me audition? good offer Btw - I feel like between that and an alternative face plate option (more minimalist aesthetic) you could really corner the market.
Wink, thanks for letting is try to blow up your amp by plugging both sets of AKG K1000's into it at once :)   A2A - sorry I didn't get to audition the woo tubes. I even brought my wallet with me. Now you have to lug them home!   alex699 - thanks for not being called alex, and really nice to meet you. you've both encouraged my HD800 yearning, and made me want to pull the pin on re-cabling my K702's.   grant625 - thanks for letting me listen to your HD800's for...
I've got to say, if you're talking unbalanced HD800's, the I love the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC+HPA combination, while the M1HPA on-board DAC punches above it's weight, in a pinch!   The M1 DAC+HPA is something where I keep looking at $2500 gear and auditioning it, and thinking "I prefer what I've got", even with K702's, but with HD800's it really shines - it's like the amp was made for them.   With balanced HD800's, there are other options! Lovely expensiver...