Posts by elwappo99

That's a lot of DSD!
 TBH, I didn't like the soloist with a lot of my headphones. It sounded grainy, bright, and sucked out the midrange. I really didn't think it was worth the asking price.  The M-Stage has HPA-1 and HPA-2. The HPA-2 is the newer version, and as far as the amplifier is concerned, I don't think a lot of changes were made. From what I've heard, the HPA-2 has a much better DAC, if you're looking as using the USB DAC with it. I haven't heard either one's DAC, so I can't help you...
 Hello! Welcome to head-fi!  I had a Burson Soloist (full one) and didn't like it with the AKG K702 anniversary.  The Lehmann black cube would be a good pick. But, IMO save yourself some money, and get the Matrix M-stage. It's an identical clone and will save you about $900. Matrix will also do very well with the X1s.
 Hey Mark!  Pretty interesting question for someone who's pretty new! There are a few posts above mine that will give you some pretty good information. It seems based on your questions you've picked up a lot of basics on headphone measurements and EQ and have an inquisitive mind, so try and stick with me here.  Graphs are a pretty tricky deal. Frequency response is the most common one people use, but it's not the only measurement taken, and the other ones are very...
 Think about how much ebay made in listing fees . Beyer probably sells them for $400 a piece, so I think they'll be ok 
 I have these experiences exactly. It really was live recordings of jazz or classical music that I'd be trying to crank up the volume. 
 Awesome! Case looks like a pretty even match too. It must be the 1.8" doesn't draw too much power that the usb port is able to host it. You can get some pretty good sized 1.8" hard drives. I think last I heard toshiba had 320gb drives. 
 What I think is super interesting about vintage receivers is that most of them actually use the speaker taps for the headphone output! There's a direct line with a resistor (I think the SX-990 is 120ohms when I was looking into it). So it shouldn't matter that much, as long as the resistors are decent quality. I didn't find much of a difference when I A-B compared mine. I think the T50rp drivers really sing out of vintage receivers too. It's a really strange vintage/power...
 I didn't get a notification so I ran and checked. Looks like I'm actually 3rd  Bummer! Hopefully that guy has second thoughts.   I think the DACs in the combo units I've heard and owned are almost worth the asking price alone. They are such good DACs. I don't think I've heard a DAC that to my ears competes with the flagship DACs kingwa cranks out.   You'll probably get more volume out of the Master 9, and a bit more control over the driver, if that makes any sense...
 So that's what you sold the Mjolnir for. I was kicking myself all sunday afternoon for not winning that. I was 2nd highest. Was really hoping to try some of yours to compare against my balanced mad dogs.