Posts by Yikes

I am coming in a semi-official capacity. So if you have questions about The Cable Company's Headphone Lending Library ask away.   I am bringing the following: Sources PS Audio PWD/PWT   AMP/DAC  ADL Esprite   Apple Macbook Pro   Headphones Audeze LCD-2 Sennheiser HD-800 Grado PS-1000   Amplifiers (Pay attention - Both not shipping until next month at the earliest) Cavalli Liquid Gold (New Balanced Solid State Amp) Luxman P700u (New...
As of right now I am scheduled to work on the 20th, but I am going to try and get someone to cover for me. So I should know in the next 3-4 days if I am going to make it. I hope that work doesn't interfere with my attending another NY meet. I have missed hanging out with my friends from the lengthiest of islands. Speaking of work: My employer The Cable Company is exhibiting at the New York Audio Show http://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow next weekend April 12 -...
I'll be getting my LS50's tomorrow. Then for the next week playing in a closet non-stop, break-in is a bitch :)
Last year at 3 of the Audio Shows that I attended I fell in love with the KEF LS50 speakers. IMO the LS50's would be more appropriately priced at $4000-$5000 (based upon what other uber-quality bookshelf speakers are selling for) I consider the LS50 a steal at $1500/pr. Needless to say I ordered a pair, which I am impatiently waiting for. Which brings me to this post. I noticed that KEF had their X300A system. Since I needed a nice system for my work office system I...
You guys do realize that how much an amp cost has little bearing on how powerful it might be? The LS50's are relatively inefficient. There is a reason they show them with 200 watt/ch amps at shows. That being said, if you have a small room, and you tend to listen at moderate levels you might get by with 20-25 watts/ch. lets be real if you frequently try to push the SPL'S above the mid to high 90's you should consider a different speaker. If on the other hand you...
I have a sub, but I'm of the belief that a subwoofers most important feature is it's OFF Switch. Typical in room response has the 50's down 3 db at about 50 hz. If I decide to use my sub I would start with a crossover at about 60 hz, 120 seems a bit high, but if it works no worries. A 120 hz crossover would be benificial for louder listening. At The Show they were playing at decent levels (estimated to be 88-92 db peak) with a 200 watt/ch Parasound amp. To my ears they...
The LS50's are amazing. I have ordered a pair (Back ordered until February sometime). The LS50's are very revealing, and require a good amp with at a minimum 50 watts/ch. If your budget is $2000 including an amp the 50's are too expensive. $1500 + at least $180 for speaker stands. I got the Reference 3a speaker stands that sell for $350 pair. Pairing the LS50's with a $300 amp is doing a terrible disservice to the 50's
I will be attending this year . It will be nice to see the gang. Not sure if I'll be there in my official capacity as a Cable Company Representative, or just as me Pretty sure that I'll book a hotel so that I can join the post meet festivities. Whichever capacity i attend in, I am pleased that I am able. Ethan/Yikes
Hello All :)   Unless this is the same weekend as the NY Audio Show (I believe that's what happened last time) I'll be there. I'll confirm after CES. Next week is CES and I'm in full on Toy Hunting Mode    Later Ethan
  It has been a while since I've added new stuff to my system. Well in the last 4 weeks I've gone a little crazy. BOLD IS NEW (For me)   Speakers: NHT 2.9 (Siltech Internal recable G6 Silver/Gold) Amplifier: Jadis Defy 7 (Siltech Silver output wiring) Preamplifier: VAC Renaissance Mk I (Very nice MM Phono Stage with MC Step up transformers) D/A: PS Audio PWD MKII (With the BRIDGE) Transport: PS Audio PerfectWavetm CD/DVD Memory player Turntable: VPI...