Posts by blownsi

Yes stock pads.  I've still never gotten around to researching the replacements others talk about.
What kind of music were you listening to?  What amp? I've never heard the things you described that's why I'm curious.  I use a Schiit Lyr at home and a AQ Dragonfly when traveling.  The DT-990 sounds like a car audio system to me, albeit a good one but I hear exaggerated bass and treble.  It's really fun with rock/rap but really bad at everything else imho.  The HE-400 sound like Maggies with a small subwoofer, you don't really care if it's right or wrong you just enjoy...
I've owned both and the HE-400 is my definitive answer especially based on your preferences.
Ebay is running 5x ebay bucks today. I just received $15 on a $150 purchase.
Thanks for the tip.  I'll check into them. 
If it's repackaged clearance then it's likely a store specific return. 
Yes there are better phones but for the money and the fun I quite enjoy my PortaPros.  I'm looking for something with a similar sound but with isolation for an airplane.  I realize that I probably won't find them for $25 but I'd like to stay under $100 if possible.  I've owned two decent pairs of IEMs in the past and neither quite did it for me.  The triple-fi were awesome but were too large for my ear canals and the Ety MC5 seem to have no bass.  I've heard others...
Looking to spend around $80 but will go double that if need be. I listen to lots of genre but focus on the light rock or jazz. I've tried ety mc5 and they are too light in the bass for me. Had a pair of triple fi which I loved the sound of but they were too big for my ear canals. I do fly about once a month so sound isolation is important.
Check Audio Advisor open box also
I haven't seen these listed on this thread: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA38N1068567&ignorebbr=1   Velodyne Vleve for $22.99 shipped (89% off).  Reviews are not the best but they are $70 on Amazon so a good price if you are interested.