Posts by TheManko

Maybe the Odac is better than the dac in the HDVD 800, since that is the weakest part in the HDVD 800. I haven't heard the Odac, but as long as it's better than a Xonar Essence ST it should be better than the HDVD 800 dac. Trying to gain some perspective on the Odac I browsed through 30+ pages in the various Odac threads and many reviews and didn't learn anything. The only people buying it seem to be Fiio owners, and I've never heard any of them either. Maybe I'll buy one...
What pushed me into writing the review was when I looked at the reviews available online and not seeing one that I felt properly reflected my experience of using it. I've posted what I think in this thread, but I don't think that's nearly as helpful as putting everything into a single review. I'm glad it turned out alright.
I noticed that there was only one review on the HDVD 800 product page, so I decided to add my own. It's the first review I've written on head-fi, so I hope it doesn't suck.
I messed around with the color options for the HDVD 800 on the Colorware website and I kinda like how some combinations look. Maybe I'll get mine painted! Maybe.
I haven't listened to the headphone out on the Asus even once, so I have no idea how it sounds. I only got it to use as a dac, so that's what I've been doing so far. Might as well do some comparisons at some point since I'm a bit curious as well about how it sounds.
 I don't see how this does anything but create a toxic atmosphere. Anyway, I've had the Xonar Essence One Muses Edition for about a month now and I've done several comparisons with the HDVD 800 dac. The HDVD 800 dac is frankly not good enough as a showcase of what either the HDVD 800 amp or the HD 800 headphones are capable of. I mean the dac is fine, but if this is supposed to be THE way to experience the HD 800 as Sennheiser intended then it doesn't deliver. Like...
I have a Essence One Muses Edition, so I got 3x more Muses01 for the unbalanced and balanced buffers. I don't use the headphone output, so 9x Muses01 is probably everything I'll ever need. The unbalanced output goes to my speakers (Nad C 375BEE and B&W CM8), while the balanced connection goes to the HDVD 800 I use to drive my HD 800 and LCD-2. I'm pleased with the difference it made with the speakers. The improved separation and wider soundstage improves the sensation...
I got some genuine Muses01 today and just like how I was surprised by how the fake ones ruined the sound, the real ones improve the sound to an extent I find pleasantly surprising. I haven't listened for very long, about 30 minutes with my speakers and then another 30 minutes with the HD 800 via the HDVD 800. The change is that the character of the sound is sharper and better defined, with both good and bad aspects of songs coming into clearer focus. Especially on certain...
Without knowing the genre of music the position of the knob is meaningless. There's a huge difference in volume if you're listening to some classical recording from 2L or something by Killswitch Engage for example.
Depends entirely on the music. Loudly mixed music is plenty loud at 9, some sounds great at 10, and a few albums and especially movies can  have enough dynamic range that 11-12 might be appropriate. The HD 800 are some of the most open headphones available, so it might appear from the outside that you're playing the headphones really loud compared to what headphones usually sound like to people around you.