Posts by TheManko

I finally got around to comparing the headphone outputs between the Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition and HDVD 800. First off I have to say that the Asus is nearly catastrophic from a functional perspective. The gain on the volume knob is crazy. 9 o clock on the Asus volume knob is the same volume as 11 on the Sennheiser. The potentiometer works in notched steps and is also very cheap, so the first three steps you only hear sound from the left channel. This means you...
 1. Yes, the HDVD 800 has the same balanced and unbalanced inputs as the HDVA 600 which bypass the internal dac. 2. This is a trickier one to answer as it's a subjective call. For me the answer is yes. It doesn't transform the HD 800 into Audeze headphones or anything, but it's still a far cry from the cold sterile sound of the SPL Auditor which truly did make the HD 800 sound more like a scientific instrument for sound analysis, rather than a tool for musical enjoyment.
 I said it in my review, but might as well say it again. I did a comparison between the Xonar Essence ST and the HDVD 800 dac, using the HDVD 800 amp. They sounded almost indistinguishable. The main difference was some sparkly artifacts in the highs from the ST which the HDVD 800 dac smoothed over. Apart from that the tone, balance, detail, soundstage etc was basically the same. The markup from the HDVA 600 to the HDVD 800 is about €300, and the performance of the HDVD 800...
Maybe the Odac is better than the dac in the HDVD 800, since that is the weakest part in the HDVD 800. I haven't heard the Odac, but as long as it's better than a Xonar Essence ST it should be better than the HDVD 800 dac. Trying to gain some perspective on the Odac I browsed through 30+ pages in the various Odac threads and many reviews and didn't learn anything. The only people buying it seem to be Fiio owners, and I've never heard any of them either. Maybe I'll buy one...
What pushed me into writing the review was when I looked at the reviews available online and not seeing one that I felt properly reflected my experience of using it. I've posted what I think in this thread, but I don't think that's nearly as helpful as putting everything into a single review. I'm glad it turned out alright.
I noticed that there was only one review on the HDVD 800 product page, so I decided to add my own. It's the first review I've written on head-fi, so I hope it doesn't suck.
I messed around with the color options for the HDVD 800 on the Colorware website and I kinda like how some combinations look. Maybe I'll get mine painted! Maybe.
I haven't listened to the headphone out on the Asus even once, so I have no idea how it sounds. I only got it to use as a dac, so that's what I've been doing so far. Might as well do some comparisons at some point since I'm a bit curious as well about how it sounds.
 I don't see how this does anything but create a toxic atmosphere. Anyway, I've had the Xonar Essence One Muses Edition for about a month now and I've done several comparisons with the HDVD 800 dac. The HDVD 800 dac is frankly not good enough as a showcase of what either the HDVD 800 amp or the HD 800 headphones are capable of. I mean the dac is fine, but if this is supposed to be THE way to experience the HD 800 as Sennheiser intended then it doesn't deliver. Like...
I have a Essence One Muses Edition, so I got 3x more Muses01 for the unbalanced and balanced buffers. I don't use the headphone output, so 9x Muses01 is probably everything I'll ever need. The unbalanced output goes to my speakers (Nad C 375BEE and B&W CM8), while the balanced connection goes to the HDVD 800 I use to drive my HD 800 and LCD-2. I'm pleased with the difference it made with the speakers. The improved separation and wider soundstage improves the sensation...