Posts by TheManko

To use async mode, don't you just need to install the driver? The other components like the motherboard don't matter, since it's related to the operating system. Do you remember which input setting they were using on the HDVD 800 in the store? If it was "Unbal" or "Bal" it was using the CD player dac, if it was any of the other ones then the HDVD 800 dac was being used and the difference you're hearing is from the music itself.
If you're not using the same music then that makes it hard to compare the experiences at store and at home, because there's a huge difference in how each album is mixed, even in the same genre of music sometimes. I'd say you probably need a few more days of listening to get used to how the HD 800 & HDVD 800 sound with a wide variety of music and such. I'm sure you'll find some albums that sound a bit flat and boring, and others that sound way better than you've ever heard...
Are you listening to the same music as you did in the store? You did mentioned noise when you turn up the volume on some tracks. That shouldn't be there, unless it's part of the original recording. Many hifi stores (at least here in Sweden) have a loaner system, so you can borrow demo cables and equipment and try them out first. If you're set on getting an expensive USB cable I'd try before I bought one, because it's possible it might not make any difference at all for...
I had a Violectric V200 & V800 before and there's a number of tweaks related to them (ground lift, DC coupled volume control, gain settings etc) that make differences so small that they fall within the realm that it could be the users imagination creating the difference. I was worried that going balanced with the HDVD 800 would produce similarly small gains, but as it turns out the difference was big enough that there's no doubt it sounds better.
It took an awful long time, but I finally got a 4 pin balanced cable for the LCD-2 and HD 800. I've had the HDVD 800 for several months now and not heard it in balanced operation even once. I had read all the posts about it, but I've found that I can never truly prepare myself for what the difference will mean for my own listening experience, even if I know on an intellectual level exactly what to expect.   The experience is pretty much exactly as had been described....
The image links are broken.
Mine was a demo model as well since the store I bought it at had run out of stock. The condition will of course vary, but generally it's just fingerprints and dust. Amps like the HDVD 800 aren't subjected to the horrors of something like the Best Buy speaker section where every tweeter has been pushed in by kids. Just wipe it off and it will hopefully look like new, unless the store already did that for you.   As for balanced cabling it's taken forever for my cables to...
It's because I thought it wasn't relevant to that point, but yes I have tested all the inputs with the C.C. Colletti tracks and they produce the same hissing. AES was tested via a V-Link 192, Coax and optical via a Xonar Essence ST.
Because someone mentioned optical not supporting 192khz a few pages back I decided to try and see how my HDVD 800 would behave, and it goes up to 176khz here. When I play 192khz tracks it goes silent. I've tested all the other inputs as well and Coax, AES and USB supports up to 192khz.
That's because the amp is still new and many people haven't gotten their hands on it yet. You say it's 72 pages, but probably half of that is just anticipation of it coming out as the thread was started back in 2012, well before it came out. Coming up with hard conclusions is hard if you're trying to remain reasonable, or "objective" if you will, as you have to balance what you say to not under/oversell it.   What is clear to me and seemingly everyone else who has it is...