Posts by TheManko

I'll be keeping my HDVD 800 since I quite like how the amp sounds with my balanced HD 800 and LCD-2. But it wouldn't surprise me if I ended up using the Essence One Muses dac the majority of the time instead of the internal HDVD 800 dac. I did run out and buy a Essence One Muses Edition, but it turned out to be one of the older ones with B10K pots and no gain switch, so I returned it to the store and now I'm waiting on them to get a newer one from Asus. I've also ordered...
I had the opportunity to use a Xonar Essence One Muses Edition here at home and compare it with my HDVD 800, using both my speakers (B&W CM 8 with two subs) and HD 800. I never used the headamp on the Essence One, instead I connected it via XLR to the balanced inputs on the HDVD 800 and used the amp section with my balanced HD 800 headphones. The RCA outputs on the Essence One were connected to the Main In input on my Nad C 375 amp, so I was using the Essence One as a...
They're line level out and they still work if you use Unbal and Bal.
What do you mean? If you use the Bal and Unbal inputs the HDVD 800 internal dac is bypassed, so why would that still make it invalid when comparing dacs? When I compared the V800 and HDVD 800 I had the V800 connected with XLR to the Bal inputs and could switch between the two dacs in Windows in about ~5-8 seconds. When I compared the Essence ST it was connected to Unbal and to the Coax input of the HDVD 800 dac, so I could switch between the two dacs simply by rotating...
No it doesn't. Although I guess it depends on what exactly you mean when you say "good". Personally I've compared to a Violectric V800 and Xonar Essence ST. The V800 is better than the HDVD 800 dac by a wide margin, while the Xonar Essence ST actually sounds very similar to the HDVD 800 dac. At first the Essence ST sounded almost identical to the HDVD 800 dac, but after listening for a while I noticed that the Essence ST consistenly produced sparkly artifacts in the...
Ideally the entire chain of dac, amp and headphone should be balanced. There's a ton of alternatives when it comes to dacs so I hardly know where to begin, especially if you're trying to save money. Maybe the Xonar Essence One Plus Edition or Muses Edition? I'm sure someone else will have better ideas.
I had to install the drivers for it to work in Windows, so unlike some other dacs it doesn't work at all over USB without the drivers.
To use async mode, don't you just need to install the driver? The other components like the motherboard don't matter, since it's related to the operating system. Do you remember which input setting they were using on the HDVD 800 in the store? If it was "Unbal" or "Bal" it was using the CD player dac, if it was any of the other ones then the HDVD 800 dac was being used and the difference you're hearing is from the music itself.
If you're not using the same music then that makes it hard to compare the experiences at store and at home, because there's a huge difference in how each album is mixed, even in the same genre of music sometimes. I'd say you probably need a few more days of listening to get used to how the HD 800 & HDVD 800 sound with a wide variety of music and such. I'm sure you'll find some albums that sound a bit flat and boring, and others that sound way better than you've ever heard...
Are you listening to the same music as you did in the store? You did mentioned noise when you turn up the volume on some tracks. That shouldn't be there, unless it's part of the original recording. Many hifi stores (at least here in Sweden) have a loaner system, so you can borrow demo cables and equipment and try them out first. If you're set on getting an expensive USB cable I'd try before I bought one, because it's possible it might not make any difference at all for...