Posts by TheManko

Tried WASAPI push and it behaved the same as event.
Alright, I tried asio and it's the same, except now track 7 sounds like it should and track 9 has the hissing instead. Tracks 2, 3 and 5 are hissing using both WASAPI and asio.
As far as I know there's no HDVD driver on any of the Sennheiser sites. Because they're a big corporation there's multiple regional websites so it's a pain to check all of them, but from my quick check just now there's no drivers on any of them. I hope they do start putting driver downloads on them and keep them updated. Having them on CDs is a bit retro now that a ton of laptop models don't come with optical drives. I would even prefer drivers on USB memory sticks as...
For me it happens on tracks 2, 3, 5 and 7. It's audible from the very first second of the tracks and it sounds exactly the same on all of them. It's like you're playing pink noise in the background. I bought the 192/24 flac version and I'm playing it back in Foobar2000 using WASAPI (event). If I enable resampling, still using WASAPI as output, the noise disappears from all the tracks. I tried resampling to 96khz and 44khz and both worked just fine. I have some other...
I just bought the album to test, and like you I got hissing. The first track sounded just fine, and when it then switched to "When The Levee Breaks" there was the really loud hissing as if I had suddenly tuned out of signal. Turning on resampling in Foobar2000 fixed it. Haven't encountered this issue before this. Very strange.
I tend to use stereo in both games and movies, but now and then I try Dolby Headphone as I have a Xonar Essence ST hooked up via Coax to the HDVD 800. The room simulation Dolby Headphone attempts adds some bass resonances which closer emulates the intended amount of bass compared to doing a straight downmix. It's a highly enjoyable effect in film, and it feels like Dolby Headphone was really designed for movie style mixing.   The reason I don't often use Dolby Headphone...
I tried a bunch of high bitrate files and they worked just fine over USB. They were DVD Audio rips with 96/24 5.1 tracks with bitrates of ~6900-13824kbps. Tried WASAPI and DS and they all played like they should. I haven't had an opportunity to try optical yet, but coax does support 192/24 here, so the only input I haven't tested is the optical one.
My usage is similar, in that I play a lot of games and watch movies/tv shows with my HDVD 800 and HD 800. The only problem I can think of is that action films generally don't sound very good when mixed down from 5.1/7.1 to headphones. Action scenes tend to sound a bit flat (depending on the movie) and the bass seems weaker than it should be compared to when you've got a subwoofer. Dialogue scenes, music and ambient sound all sound great, but action doesn't sound like it...
If whether a product comes with a power cable or not is the final straw that makes you not want to buy it, then you were probably looking for excuses not to get it to begin with. Sure, it might be a bit cheap of them not to bundle a USB cable, but since the person buying a $2000 amp probably is an audiophile, then that person probably has all the cables they need already. I can't bring myself to get worked up about it. Saying that they're "turning evil" is hyperbole. If...
My HDVD800 didn't come with a power cable, so I guess I got one of those early ones. Still very happy with how it sounds, despite not having any 4 pin xlr cables yet. I've got a couple ordered, one for the HD 800 and another for the LCD-2 (which I will eventually use with the LCD-3 whenever I get one). I hope they'll show up within the next couple weeks.