Posts by TheManko

I have now spent enough time comparing the stock AD827SQ and Muses01 as I/V to know the difference. The AD827SQ add more bass, at the cost of soundstage depth and detail. The Muses01 has more detail in the upper registers, and a marked increase in soundstage. Going back to the AD827SQ afterwards the sound definitely doesn’t extend as far out from the speakers and headphones as it did with the Muses01. The good thing about the AD827SQ though is that it adds body and weight...
I'll get a couple OPA827 for I/V and try them out! I've got a feeling the number of Muses01 in my Essence III now is too much. Switching the I/V to OPA827 just might hit the sweet spot. EDIT: I've switched back the I/V to the stock AD827SQ, as using Muses01 as I/V maybe isn't ideal? I'm sure if I had even more op-amps sitting around I'd go nuts trying to balance the sound.  The default was 2x AD827SQ as XLR Buffer, 2x AD827SQ I/V and 2x AD827SQ as SE LPF. I'm now running...
It has some of the worst distribution of any device ever! Who knows how many people I've seen now who have showed interest in it, but can't get it because they live in the wrong part of the world.
I’ve been playing around with op-amp rolling the past week. I’ve changed the I/V, LFP and balanced buffers from the standard AD827SQ to Muses01. I left the DC servos as they were. The result of changing to Muses01 is a marked increase in the amount of detail in the sound.   A common complaint in reviews of the Essence III has been that it doesn’t have the same uber detailed sound as other high end dacs. Switching the op-amps solved this completely. It changes the tone...
Yes, let’s be clear that I’m basing all this on supposition, and not on personal experience with the amp. But looking at the options it’s clear the V281 is using the same dac as you can get with the V200. I’m sure it’s an ok dac! But I seriously doubt it’s going to replace a V800. The on-board dac is a nice bonus, but it isn’t the main event. In my wild dreams the Phonitor 2 dac would be so good people would be tossing their Benchmark DAC2s in the garbage. Otherwise I...
Looking forward to it! There's a lot of amp/dac combos, but the majority aren't as good as they should be. Either the amp or the dac part is vastly superior to the other, and the other section ends up unused as the user inevitably buys a replacement for it. Like I doubt any Violectric V281 users will get the integrated dac and be happy using it. They'll inevitably get a separate dac if they don't have one. I'm hoping SPL can make their dac section just as good as the amp,...
Got any idea of how much more the version with built in dac will cost? Or what level of quality they're aiming for with the dac?
What matters in the end is the result the components produce when working together. With the Essence One Muses Edition I experimented with different combinations of opamps. Higher end opamps sometimes provided a more transparent sound, but could tilt the overall balance in a way that made it unpleasant to listen to. Using a combination of high end and lesser parts delivered an overall sound that hit the right balance where music was produced with the correct balance of...
Since I upgraded the firmware 4 days ago I went back to using USB and haven't had any problems, so I guess that fixed it!
Still happy with mine! The only issues I've run into now after owning it for a long time is that USB audio stops working after a while. All youtube videos refuse to play, any music whether it's via WASAPI, ASIO or the standard output doesn't work. So I've been running via a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 instead that converts USB into AES. I saw that Asus has a firmware upgrade for the Essence III that "improves stability", so I'm going to try that today and see if it fixes...