or Connect

Posts by TheManko

Haven't seen any comparisons yet. But I might be buying the P9 next week, and then I'll be able to do some comparisons against more expensive headphones. Interested to see how it fits in the hierarchy of the very best headphones.
What struck me as a positive thing about the P9 when I auditioned them, apart from the excellent soundstage and the general massive feel of the sound, was that it didn't have any annoying treble peaks. I haven't heard the TH-900, but I did own the Denon AH-D5000 which was one of its predecessors, and that one has an elevated treble that could sound quite nasty. The P9 was smooth and clean, without sounding rolled off or overly dampened, like for example the Audeze LCD-2....
Went to a store and auditioned the P9 today. In direct comparison to the P7 (which was next to it), the P9 is quite a lot better. The angled drivers did more for the soundstage than I expected, as the sound is clearly pushed from your sides to in front of you. The first thing that struck me about the sound was that it's distinctly colored. Something about it doesn't sound neutral. But at the same time it didn't seem to be to any detriment, as the general fidelity and...
I didn't see anyone link the official P9 site yet.   I've been hoping B&W would make a higher end headphone. I really like the P7, but it's too nicely built for me to wear it outside with good conscience, and at home I don't see the point of using it since I've got the HD 800. But the fidelity of the sound in the P7 is so good I'm always pleasantly surprised on the rare occasions I use them. Hopefully the P9 will be good enough to be comparable to any high end headphone....
Looking forward to it!
For a while I switched positions on the DC Servo op-amps and the XLR Buffer and SE LPF. Meaning I used OPA2227 on XLR Buffer/LPF, while AD827SQ sat in the DC Servo positions. Was curious how my speakers would sound with that combo, and the results were interesting, but ultimately not good enough. They created tremendous bass, but there was something crunchy and staticy about the sound, like they weren't quite comfortable in that position. I rarely use the Balanced...
I haven't had the opportunity to try the HD 800S with the HDVD 800, but I'm guessing there's a chance that they'd work just as well together as the HD 800 does. The HDVD 800 does not use EQ to tame the 6khz peak, it instead adds a general sense of warmth to the sound. The HD 800S is still an analytical sounding headphone, even with the peak tamed, so the HDVD 800 should still be a great companion for producing a more natural sound. But I haven't heard it myself, so I'm...
No problem! I'll be happy to answer any more questions if they pop up down the line.
That's right. In the Asus op-amp swap guide there's a list of recommended op-amps, though I'm sure others would work just fine too. The Muses01 are a bit expensive if you buy 6 at once, so if you want to try out some others first to see what effect op-amp switching has, you could try the ones listed in the manual.   I bought most of my Muses01 from Mouser. At first I ordered a few on Ebay. Some from Audiotrak, which were genuine, and then some cheaper ones from a user...
I haven't replaced the Essence III yet. I'm using it as a pre-amp for my Nad C 375BEE that's powering my stereo speakers, and it's connected to my HDVD 800 that I'm using as the amp for my HD 800. Just the other day in fact I was experimenting with op-amps again, and I've concluded that for now using Muses01 op-amps in the I/V, SE LPF and XLR Buffer slots give me the highest fidelity sound. The stock op-amps have a bit thicker midbass punch, but are noticeably less...