Posts by TheManko

The sheets I cut weren't circular, but also didn't flare out to fill in the outer edges like your new ones. I might try to cut new sheets tomorrow and see what kind of difference it makes! It's been more than a couple days now since I opened them, so I'm feeling the modding itch again.   EDIT: 40 hours later, instead of modifying the Z7 I played around with the op-amps in my DAC all day. I used the Z7 to evaluate the changes, and they performed very well for the purpose....
You weren't imagining things. I've now modded mine with carbon sheets. Before modding I did some listening to refresh my memory and pick tracks to test. I also left the volume knob on my amp alone so I'd have the exact same volume when I returned with the mod in place. The sound is noticeably cleaner and less congested. The frequency balance sounds the same, except a tad less deep bass. Can't tell if it's just less distortion, or an actual lowering of bass amount. Maybe...
Given that carbon filters catch filth in the air, will we need to change the sheets in the headphones every 2-5 years or so? They might not turn to powder, but they might become moist.
I'm going to pick up a $10 sheet of carbon intended for kitchen fans tomorrow. It looks the same as what you put in. So easy to open the Z7, so why not!
Now I'm curious about putting activated carbon in the headphones lol. Had a look, and it's easy to find. Wonder which kind would be most appropriate. It has many common uses, like in kitchen fans, so you can buy sheets and bags of it.
This is what made me interested in the Z7 to begin with. I've owned the HD 800 for like 6 years now, and I've modded them with the dupont resonators, which emulate the improvements made with the HD 800S. But because I use a Velodyne subwoofer with my speaker system, it's just painfully obvious every time I use the HD 800 that they're not reproducing bass with the kind of physical authority I like. The HD 800 are admirably transparent and balanced in the mids and highs. But...
I put a little bit of dynamat on the baffle. There isn't much room there because it has to make contact with the cup. I decided to put it on the areas where the baffle tilts to accommodate the driver angle, making sure I didn't cover up any holes. I guess you could put thin strips directly on the back of the driver as well.
I bought the Z7 couple days ago. I applied the mod today, and I'm very happy with the change it had on the sound. Before the mod the sound quality varied between startlingly good and a muddy mess depending on the song. After mod, the presentation is much cleaner and more consistent.   Before modding I was actually pleasantly surprised by the sound, as I could clearly hear that the drivers were capable of much more than the pile of $300 closed headphones I'm used to like...
Haven't seen any comparisons yet. But I might be buying the P9 next week, and then I'll be able to do some comparisons against more expensive headphones. Interested to see how it fits in the hierarchy of the very best headphones.
What struck me as a positive thing about the P9 when I auditioned them, apart from the excellent soundstage and the general massive feel of the sound, was that it didn't have any annoying treble peaks. I haven't heard the TH-900, but I did own the Denon AH-D5000 which was one of its predecessors, and that one has an elevated treble that could sound quite nasty. The P9 was smooth and clean, without sounding rolled off or overly dampened, like for example the Audeze LCD-2....