or Connect

Posts by TheManko

Looking forward to it!
For a while I switched positions on the DC Servo op-amps and the XLR Buffer and SE LPF. Meaning I used OPA2227 on XLR Buffer/LPF, while AD827SQ sat in the DC Servo positions. Was curious how my speakers would sound with that combo, and the results were interesting, but ultimately not good enough. They created tremendous bass, but there was something crunchy and staticy about the sound, like they weren't quite comfortable in that position. I rarely use the Balanced...
I haven't had the opportunity to try the HD 800S with the HDVD 800, but I'm guessing there's a chance that they'd work just as well together as the HD 800 does. The HDVD 800 does not use EQ to tame the 6khz peak, it instead adds a general sense of warmth to the sound. The HD 800S is still an analytical sounding headphone, even with the peak tamed, so the HDVD 800 should still be a great companion for producing a more natural sound. But I haven't heard it myself, so I'm...
No problem! I'll be happy to answer any more questions if they pop up down the line.
That's right. In the Asus op-amp swap guide there's a list of recommended op-amps, though I'm sure others would work just fine too. The Muses01 are a bit expensive if you buy 6 at once, so if you want to try out some others first to see what effect op-amp switching has, you could try the ones listed in the manual.   I bought most of my Muses01 from Mouser. At first I ordered a few on Ebay. Some from Audiotrak, which were genuine, and then some cheaper ones from a user...
I haven't replaced the Essence III yet. I'm using it as a pre-amp for my Nad C 375BEE that's powering my stereo speakers, and it's connected to my HDVD 800 that I'm using as the amp for my HD 800. Just the other day in fact I was experimenting with op-amps again, and I've concluded that for now using Muses01 op-amps in the I/V, SE LPF and XLR Buffer slots give me the highest fidelity sound. The stock op-amps have a bit thicker midbass punch, but are noticeably less...
This tells me Sennheiser absolutely know what they're doing with the HD 800S. I've tried the HD 800 with and without felt mods several times, and it definitely affects staging. The tonal balance might have become more pleasant when the treble was attenuated, but the sound flattened, as you lost some sense of space that the standard HD 800 gives you.
If you're using Sennheiser 598, then I'd recommend going for the Marantz. The HDVD 800 costs twice as much, and would be overkill for headphones like that. The HDVD 800 is designed for the HD 800, and I recommend it for high impedance headphones like the HD 800 or Beyerdynamic T1. The Marantz has a better dac than the HDVD 800, which will probably work better in your case if you're going to use it with your speakers too. The HDVD 800 is a powerful amplifier, with a weak...
The original T1 was very close to being great. I sold mine after a year because the sound wasn't quite there. This new one sounds like just the thing to make me buy it again. Slightly more even treble and a smidge more bass sounds perfect.
I think he's referring to the firmware update to fix the hissing issue with some 192khz files, and not the standard USB drivers. The changelog on Sennheiser's website says "enhanced Windows 8 compatibility", so presumably the updater should run as intended now.