Posts by commando

I tried it, and I felt it looked really stupid. I wouldn't buy them again if the rubber band mod was the only option, but if there was another option then I might consider it.   Has anyone compared the sound of the 700 with the 900? I'd almost be tempted to get the cheaper one to play with. They're only about $30 cheaper though so probably not really worthwhile going cheap there.
I had a listen to these today, they were quite impressive, even straight from the box with little to no burn in. I was using my phone as a source - Galaxy S4, as I just want something "pretty good" for work, I have a full sized setup at home - LCD.   Bass extension and impact was excellent without being too strong. The highs were good, good detail and clarity.   The problem to my ears was the midrange sounded recessed and lacked clarity, which was the main...
I had a good listen to some of these headphones this morning at a store I found in Wellington - Sound Expressions for any locals. All headphones were driven from a Samsung Galaxy S4, as that's what I plan to use to listen to music at work - I have LCD2 and a DAC/PPA at home. Note that these headphones haven't had a lot of burn in time - quite variable amounts between 30 minutes and a dozen hours. I took my LCD2 and Beats by Dr Dre in for comparison - don't judge me for...
I've spent a few hours in stores listening to headphones costing around double what the A900X cost. There's no doubt that the A900X sound is fantastic value, and even with the awful awful 3D wing system I'm considering buying another pair (I returned the first pair) and modifying it somehow.   Can anyone with the A900X tell me if they think the 3D wing could be removed entirely and replaced with a simple leather band?
In-ear headphones would be best by far. Sound quality isn't important as all the noise and thumping goes through anything. Sony, Creative EP630 ($30), Ultimate Ears (owned by logitech now from memory), there are heaps of options.
Consider these. Not sure about prices though.
Here on ebay.
Question: would HD600's require an amp? That might put them significantly above your budget. The 598's are probably fine without an amp.   Don't forget you can order from the US, though shipping costs can be high. Amazon tend to have reasonable shipping fees.
I suspect R&D costs are a significant factor, given the relatively low volume headphones probably sell at. Cost of materials once you've done the research and worked out how to manufacture in volume probably isn't so high, but the initial costs have to be paid for.
  Of course, just because I don't like the sound or comfort it doesn't mean others don't. I'm just saying how they are for me.