or Connect

Posts by linuxworks

if its ok to post a link to an external show-report:   http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/home/show-reports/show-report-head-fi-meet-july-18-2015.html   ob disc: I was mentioned in that show report, but I am not connected with the site.  I met john for the first time at the event and spent some time with him, not knowing it would be in his review.
it was fun talking to everyone who stopped by.  here's what I brought this year:       Left to right: an arduino thermostat (yellow oled display), spdif switch with input selector and sample-rate display in large LEDs; the Fiio x3-2 audio player, an AK4399 DAC, a zibgee-ir gateway (remote control format translator), my arduino oled/xbee handheld remote control on Qi charging cradle, a 4 digit nixie clock that can receive numeric 'messages'; and of course, the...
my wish-list for the x3-2:   I'd like to have CTIA remote control function (on the left hand side trrs jack) even when the right-hand side is inserted and running either line-out or coax/spdif out.   I'd like to see the scroll wheel be more responsive and not show the 'bounce' problem it now has.   OTG support should be improved.   there are some issues with spdif-out.  I have not figured it out yet, but sometimes I am not able to get lock on my external spdif...
disclaimer: I am a software and firmware developer (but not for fiio) ;)   fiio: I am willing to bet I know why your scroll wheel is slow and sloppy.  if you want to see the better algorithm for how to scan the rotary encoder, PM me.  I have a table-driven bit of code that works very well and does not have the slop that most commercial rotary encoders seem to have.   I'm happy to just give you the code and explain how to use it (its regular C).  would you be willing to...
android inline remotes do NOT work, that much I know.   the protocol seems to be about the # of 'taps' you do on the control buttons, on the inline remote.  I found this by trial and error.  its not resistor based like you might think.   I ended up building a box that lets me control the x3 via IR and RF via the CTIA remote port and it was fun doing it.  wish there was more ability for remote control of this device...
I'll have the fiio x3-2 with me.  I'll probably be demoing my system with that as the primary source.  I'll have an AK4399 dac with me and so you can compare the sound of that external dac to the onboard cs4398.  to me, the onboard xtal^Hcirrus dac is fabulous.  no complaints here.   the phones out, though, seems to have some dc offset issues; at least my dc coupled preamp (alpha10) shows clicks as I vary volume and that only happens when there is offset.  that's on the...
if there is interest, I can bring my (semi)new fiio x3-2 portable DAP.  what got me about it was spdif-out at 24/192, bit-perfect, good internal dac and pre-out, plus it had some kind of inline-remote.   well, I just built a circuit that interfaces with that inline remote port ;)  the inline remote does not do much (skip songs back/forward plus pause/play) but I was able to create a small board that listens for IR (from a sony dvd remote, for example) and sends the...
success in getting inline-remote working in a DIY way!   I'll have my circuit ready to show at the next headfi gathering, this coming weekend, in fact ;)   (sf bay area)   what I've done is to create a circuit, using an arduino, that listens for IR (or RF/xbee) commands and maps the skip-left, skip-right and play/pause keys to the right number of clicks on the 4th band (the inline remote band) and ground.  I was right, its one click for play/pause, 2 clicks for...
 thanks, I'll give that a look. I'm using a custom build; voyage linux and the latest 3.19 kernel with some other dsd (not DoP but native stuff) patches, plus alsa patches and mpd patches ;)  I am wondering if I have to add usb-ids (vid/pid) to the kernel recognized dsd/usb list.  and also set the 32 bit endian-ness stuff (some vendors go one way, some the other and that's why we still need vendor specific patches up and down the stack). so, let me be sure I understand:...