Posts by skamp

miceblue: those frequency response variations are typical of high output impedance combined with non-flat impedance curve from the IEMs, which is very common with BA IEMs. To avoid those variations (which distort the audio), you want to plug them into a headphone out with an output impedance that is lower than 1/8th the impedance of the IEMs. With your 32Ω Shures, that would be 32/8=4Ω.
Actually, voltage requirements being equal, lower impedance headphones are harder to drive, because:they require more current than higher impedance headphonesthey require smaller output impedance in order to be driven properly (e.g. 18 / 8 = 2.25Ω), which limits the number of suitable devices.
Shure SE425, and Bose QC15 headphones
Not that my Clip+ or headphones or IEMs need an amp, but it's a nice amp! (Topping NX1)
What standard? The X5 is rated at 1.5 Vrms, the X3 at 1.7 Vrms; "Consumer audio" is about 0.3 Vrms, "professional audio" is about 1.2 Vrms, a CD player is 2 Vrms, an iPod Classic is about 0.83 Vrms, a Clip+ is about 0.5 Vrms, and my Sony Xperia Z1 smartphone does about 0.13 Vrms. As you can see, "line outs" are all over the map.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level#Nominal_levels
He did already:
With the iPod's output impedance of 5.5Ω, ideally, you want headphones / IEMs with impedance that is at least 8 times higher, i.e. 44Ω. Your IEMs are rated at 47Ω (and they're fairly sensitive, too, at 106 dB/mW), so they're a perfect match.
Sorry, but you're doing it wrong. You complain about "quite loud hiss": this is why. High gain with those IEMs will make them sound worse, not better.I can only imagine the sheer effort required to push a button…
You definitely don't want to set the C5 to high gain with those IEMs, ever.
I don't understand the point of such ridiculously high sensitivity. It's more of a flaw than anything else.