Posts by TimSchirmer

I seriously agree with you guys about upgrading tubes. Here's a rundown of the tube-rolling I did:   Chinese 6N3J's swapped out for NOS JAN GE 5670W's ($5 ea via eBay)   Chinese EL84's swaped out for Tung-Sol EL84's ($16.95 ea via thetubestore.com)   There is a SERIOUS improvement in the overall sound. The bass sounds tighter, there noise floor is gone, no hum whatsoever.     Has anyone tried either the old version of the TESLA EL84's (with the yellow lettering)...
I must have gotten lucky on eBay. I recently picked up a pair of K340's (and cheap) and I liked them enough out of my Yarland P100 enough to sell my Grado GS1000's. I compared them on many high end dac/amp setups at the LA Head-fi meet just to be certain and I seriously can't believe they sounded better! The mids were more lush, and the sound had very nice speed and prat. They are extremely power hungry though. I'd say at least 60% of the amps I listened to weren't...
I'm an ESL teacher, but I just quit to get my MA, which I'll start next week!
For me it depends where i am. I've cut down to like 3 cigarettes a week now so I'm proud of myself! I'd rather smoke 3 or 4 really damn good cigs per week than chainsmoke Marlboros. To me they taste like hot dirt.   Anyways: United States:Dimitrino Botschafter, Nat Sherman MCD, then American Spirits (my standards go down as they get harder to find) Colombia: Lucky Strikes Panama: Dunhill Red France & Germany: Gauloises (they taste terrible but you feel like Serge...
I might be able to make it! I'm moving to Vermont for grad school and should be able to escape to Stamford for a bit.
I recently sold my GS1000 because after extensive listening between them and my AKG K340's. They just sounded better to my ears after testing with various high end amps and sources at the last head-fi meet. My mind was boggled. I either got a really nice pair of K340's. I've sold the GS1000's and put the extra money into my source and am quite happy with the results. More expensive isn’t always better. I don't understand why John Grado doesn't just do a re-release of the...
I'll just have to keep enjoying these pre-Harman K340's. Properly amped, they sound better than most of the newer offerings anyways.
I would go with Audeze LCD-3's and an Apogee Symphony I/O. That was my favorite non-stax setup at the meet.
I stand corrected! I fixed the listing, but the item now has a sale pending.
Perfect condition & great sound! I'm only selling to get a much more expensive DAC.