Posts by zhenya

Thanks. I'm not interested in changing the stereo - it's a semi-classic car and it has a high-end Denon head unit in it that matches the period. Also, part of the point of separating out the DAC is that it can be changed out individually. I don't trust the mass market stuff made today to handle the DAC portion of their units with care.   Anyhow, the differences are clearly audible to me. It started when I noticed that a CD of the same album sounded considerably better...
Hi all. I've been out of the forums for a couple of years as my headphone listening needs have been met nicely. Recently I've been upgrading the system in my car, and have now come to the point where the DAC appears to be the weak link. I am looking for a DAC that connects to my iPhone 5s and will output to my car stereo's RCA aux in.   At the moment I have an HRT iStreamer 12v on order as it appears to be one of the few products expressly designed for this purpose....
This was a custom build from when Woo Audio was still young. I will include a number of spare tubes with this purchase. There are 4 source inputs, 2 variable pre-amplifier ouputs, and 1 tape-out.   Spec page is still up here: http://www.wooaudio.com/products/woo1_custom.html   Specs from the WooAudio 1 on which it was based:   WooAudio 1 - OTL Vacuum Tube Headphone & Pre Amplifier (disontinued) WooAudio-I is a high quality vacuum tube headphone amplifier. Making...
Sony CD3000 headphones in excellent condition. These have been used lightly at my desk and at my home (non-smoking) listening station.   The pads pictured are not original. Originals will be included but as is typical for this model, they are in bad shape. These are reproductions.    The headband was replaced in recent years with a NOS band so that is in excellent condition. The old headband will also be included if the buyer is interested.   These vintage headphones...
Sony MDR CD3000 headphones in very good condition. These have been carefully used at my desk or home listening station.   Earpads pictured are not original. Originals will be included, but they are in bad condition as is typical for this headphone. These are reproductions.   The headband was replaced with a NOS original item at one point, and it is in excellent condition with only some very minor distressing of the vinyl. The original headband will also be included (in...
It works best with iTunes, in that you can use their remote apps on an iDevice and manage your entire library seamlessly.  However it works fine with other programs, but you need a 3rd party program like Airfoil.
  Yeah, that's what I thought. I couldn't see how they could have any sort of universal two-way control.   I realize that the stick would use the CD player's DAC, but that is only part of the equation.  What happens between the source computer and the receiver matters far more than the DAC the does the final conversion.  Many cheap streaming solutions will use some sort of compression or other tricks or cheats that degrade the original file.  That's why the fact that the...
See, that's what I'm not sure that stick does.  I can see it being able to act as the bridge as you say where it presents the folder structure to the connected device, but I can't see how it can integrate control from a media player on a computer through that device.  Nothing in either of the reviews you just posted indicates that you can choose a song to play in WMP and it starts playing on the connected stereo.  You're looking at the wrong device if that's what you...
I can't see what that stick can do that an Airport Express can't (at least as regards your wants) - and the Airport Express is a tried and true system that we know passes bit-perfect data wirelessly between a computer and the connected device.  I have no idea what the specs are on that stick, but I would be very very surprised if it is anything close to audiophile grade.    The other question I would ask about this device is can you actually do any control from the...
The Airport Express uses Toslink digital out via the 3.5mm port.  The USB port is for print serving.