Posts by zhenya

Quality of materials is only part of the equation. Lots of small builders use good materials. Where they fall short is in cohesiveness of the overall design and the tolerances that the units are built to. I can buy all the titanium, stainless, beryllium and wood I want. It all comes down to how I put it together.
 Seriously? That looks like a kid's science project pieced together from a McMaster Carr order.
I think all you have to do is look at what the headphone market as it exists currently offers to find out what it would take. There is a reason why most headphones are not built as well as the Z7, and it has nothing to do with the cost of mild steel. Building something to those tolerances takes big bucks, and it's typically not going to come from a small manufacturer who will need to put most of their R&D budget into the sound alone. You really only see this kind of build...
Well, I packed mine up today for return while I still had time. I've really gone back and forth on these, but for the vast majority of my listening my existing CD3000's just sound a whole lot better to me. There are a few albums and genres where the case isn't necessarily so clear cut, but they always leave me wondering what I might be missing. If I wasn't paying full price for them, I'd probably keep ahold of them for a bit longer knowing I could resell them without too...
I suspect the lack of damping is part of what gives these the bass response they have. 
 Yeah, the CD3000's have a deserved reputation in my mind because they do so much so right if flat and neutral with a great soundstage is what you want. They excel at fine detail. The Z7 is just the opposite. It likes to play loud but doesn't do detail. I have never heard any Audio Technica cans. Do you have some that you could recommend? I have a co-worker looking for some closed cans right now and the AT's have come up as an option.
Thanks for the review! I've been using my ER4-P's for something like a decade now.   It sounds like these still stand up pretty well to the current competition? Is that accurate?
   Good selections Bill. These two tracks do really show the relative strengths and weaknesses of the Z7. On the bass track the Z7 sounds like nothing else I own, and as you say, gives you a nice ear massage. With my CD3000's that I'm currently comparing them to there is very little of that sensation. On the vocal track it's just the opposite. I don't much care for the track, but on the Z7 all the nuance to the voice is lost whereas that is what the CD3000 excels at,...
I'm taking that 'defect' to hopefully be softer material that bunches up a bit more than the stiff ones I have now. I don't recall who I bought my last set from but they have been fine; just a little bit hard compared to the stock ones which are no longer usable.
Thank you very much! Those look decent and I will probably order a pair. I'm also wondering about the ones from Japan that are considerably more expensive like these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-JAPAN-Headphone-Ear-Pad-SC346-for-MDR-CD1000-MDR-CD3000-/151383957833?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item233f2fe149 They LOOK softer than the others, and I'd have no problem with the price if I knew what to expect, but don't want to pay that price for the same cheap...