Posts by Porksoda

I am a fan of the philosophy "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" but as a constructive criticism I WOULD recommend that you try re-flowing your soldering work. It looks like most of the joints are cold, as the solder isn't flowing nicely onto the copper strips on the board. It looks to me like you aren't using any flux. Try dabbing a bit on there and re-flowing the joints, giving the copper strips a chance to heat up so the solder flows all nice-like. These cold joints...
Quote: Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb 400$? I think that is really pushing it...as it is I have a hard enough time swallowing 200 for plastic and pleather....but there is just something about the grado sound.... I agree but I think the point remains that the HF-1 could be sold at a more reasonable (to grado labs) price point at a higher production volume. Sadly, I don't think that will happen because of all the problems surrounding such a...
*SIGH* I really don't want to complain because Todd has been through a lot of crap over the whole HF-1 fiasco, but come on, 20? I feel like with that few you would be better served to raffle them off at $10-20 a ticket at the international meet or something, so at least there isn't a stampede and a lot of broken hearts. The timing issue is a good point aswell. Everybody and their uncle is gonna hammer todd's site right at noon, and these things will be gone by...
I have a business flight from noon to 5 EST that day. I'm changing it I copped out on the first run because I was short on money and I've learned my lesson!
This afternoon at work, and its been a long time coming! I just bought some Senn HD 25-1's, and they are getting to around 100 hours of use and really settling into their sound. Now I bought these cans as a travel replacement for my grados, and I have been somewhat unhappy with them because their highs are very rolled off and mellow compared to the grados. That having been said, they're warm and punchy, so they are fun for casual, low-fatigue listening. I was...
Quote: Originally Posted by NeilR I offer up option #3, just to mix it up: Regards, Neil Nice looking build! Man you are really making me want to build that pimeta/PINT with bass boost! My new job will involve lots of flights back and fourth to east asia so I am increasingly looking for a good portable rig. Presently it stands at some HD 25-1s and an iHP-140, but I REALLY want to put a mint tin amp in the middle. Aaaaah my soldering...
Quote: Originally Posted by The Monkey Does the TLE have a noticeable impact on SQ in a cmoy? I've never A/B'ed the difference, so I won't make a claim either way as to how audibe the difference is. All I can tell you is that it is a better (more ideal) circuit with the TLE in, and that it should decrease crosstalk and, to a much lesser extent, distortion. The difference should be more pronounced with lower impedence cans. I have one with a...
Quote: Originally Posted by pacemkr Why does the TLE help with low impedance phones? I understand it helps to keep the voltage division more equal, but why is the result more significant with low impedance load? The advantage of the TLE over just using two precision resistors is that it is active, whereas the resistors are passive. When you put a signal through the headphones, the current retuns to the virtual ground after it goes through the...
Questions 1 and 2 are difficult to answer straight away. I can't really offer you any advice there other than that having 16 ohm cans doesn't help. Even still, it shouldn't be really loud. 3) 18V is not needed, but it ensures that the CMoy can drive headphones that need lots of voltage. For 16 ohm cans, you could probably do fine with 9V. With cans like the HD580s, you would probably need 18V. 4) Adding the TLE was a smart move first of all. That helps quite...
I feel the long leads connected to the film caps offsets a lot of their benefit. The whole point of putting film caps close to the op-amp/buffer/whatever is that you get minimum impedence.