Posts by Porksoda

This type of filter, a capacitor and a resistor, is called an RC filter. It's pass frequency is equal to 1/(2*pi*R*C), R being the resistance (impedence would be the proper term but we are making an approximation) of the speaker (we are approximating it as a resistor here) and C being the capacitance. I would go to a speaker-specific forum like diyaudio.com and double-check that that is a correct calculation before you go building or changing anything though. It occurs...
You are reading the diagram correctly. The capacitor effectively forms a high-pass filter with the impedence of the speaker. I can't say that it's necessarily the BEST crossover network, but it seems to be what the manufacturer is recommending. That seems like a rather small capacitance for that position in the crossover network though. Doing a quick calculation, that network puts the crossover frequency at around 30 kHz assuming the speaker is 8 ohms. I would...
The best advice I can give is start looking at datasheets. See if there is a suitable SMD component for all of the semis in the dynalo. Off hand, I think you could do it.
I've performed parts of this work many times, and it ranks as one of my fav pieces to listen to and/or play. Admittedly I've only heard a couple recordings but they've all either been very well performed but poorly recorded or well-recorded but poorly performed. Can anybody recommend a well-played, well-recorded performance? EDIT: NM I committed the cardinal sin of forums, posting before searching. Answers found
I've had Senn HD-25-1's for a few months now, and I gotta be honest they are dang good for rock. They've got the mid-bass punch of the grados, but the low end extends a lot deeper. The highs are a bit recessed though. I've found they sound better at high volume whereas grados sound better at moderate volumes.
I like the album Damnation by Opeth. Their stuff is really well-recorded, the acoustic guitar work is awesome, and the album has a well-balanced, well-blended sound. Another album of theirs I like to use is Ghost Reveries, again, as it is well-recorded but it is more traditional prog metal and uses a lot more distortion, so it brings out texture and resolution more. If I could find a really good recording, I would think Holst's The Planets would be excellent. Neptune...
3rd is the illustrious Jude, and I recognise the guy in the second one but not sure who it is
Yes, most equipment does have a shared ground, unless it's balanced. Considering you are using RCAs, I would surmise your system is not balanced so no worries there. The thing you want to watch out for is connecting both grounds to one channel and both signals to the other. This would short one of the outputs to ground and could definitely damage whatever is on the other end. Go to sears or radio shack and get a $10 multitester that can do continuity checks. Problem...
GAH I will be back in town a mere week before this meet! Sadly I must return to my new home in NY before this meet takes place. I was really hoping to get another chance to blast some Dimmu Borgir in the Wadia listening room
Quote: Originally Posted by Edwood Ugh. TOo many WHite Castles. Time for a quick breakfast and setup time! -Ed GAH!! I forgot to get White Castle while I was down there! They don't have it in the Albany area, and I miss it sooooo much from home! I meant to get some while I was down there but the whole trip was pretty last minute for me so I didn't plan these things out! All of you who have seen "Harold and Kumar Go to White...