Posts by Headzone

If you want to try the "velour" feeling of sound, and you have leather pads try using your DT100 without pads at all! It hurts your ears and sounds crazy but you get the idea of the sound    Then play something like Rodrigo Y Gabriela. I recommend a good amp, I used a vintage amp which powered my 400ohm DT100's perfectly. 
I had very old torn apart velour pads on them first, they didnt seal correctly. With them midrange and especially acoustic guitars were among the best I've heard. No bass at all, though. Now I have new leather pads. Midrange sounds a bit more "muddy" and lower midrange is somewhat colored. But there is now some bass and they work better with general music and listening. The version DT100 I have is, I think over 30 years old. So the new ones might sound improved.
I bet you would get better answers in the amplifier section on this forum :)   http://www.head-fi.org/f/5/headphone-amps-full-size
I found my DT100 to be more detailed than HD600. I can also second that O2 + HD600 is a really good combo.
Tbh the finishing quality in the pictures doesn't look like a hi-end amp. Is this supposed to be one? I like the digital volume control and other features though, very nice.
  Fostex T20RP are my main headphones currently, driven right out of my Focusrite DAC or vintage integrated amplifier. (No huge change in sound, but vintage gives more clean volume)
I miss selling my DT48 already   
I liked my Beyerdynamic DT100 for gaming, shot many times someone through the wall in CS:GO just hearing one mistake step in some direction. But all the weapons sounded like *****, because you could hear all texture/detail/harshness with them and no bass.. That would sound bad since every studio headphone manufacturers goal is to create a headphone that is transparent. K240 is the best or one of the best headphones in musicality at their price range though. 
I think the new drivers were completely redesigned so I doubt modern K240 would be the most similar sounding to the old sextett. 
Acoustic damper it's the sticker that says "do not remove" in front of the driver?    You could try some 15-band eq (I have one in my MusicBee player) to eq the bass it has 32hz, 50hz, 80hz and 125hz settings and see if you can lower any of those without affecting the double bass too much? Or try increasing some 100hz punch while using the velour pads.