Posts by ear8dmg

Is this still available and if so how much for it to be shipped to the UK?
Sad to say, but I think Goldring may have bowed out of the headphone game. Their UK website no longer has a headphone section. You can still get to individual products via Google but I think they're just vestigial pages that haven't been culled yet. At the moment I can't see any new DR50s, DR100s or DR150s in the UK. The Superfi webiste lists them as discontinued. The NS1000 noise cancelling headphones are still available in the UK but they are made by Phitek not...
Well, Jon's finally gone viral.  One of the best guitarists I've ever seen and a fantastic musician and songwriter.  Over a million youtube hits and counting, plus a couple of well known musicians and celebrities (Andy McKee, Stephen Fry, David Crosby) have started pointing people in his direction.  Just appeared on the BBC Breakfast show this morning.  And I can say I've sat and seen him play in a pub with about 7 other people for free.  But now the bandwagon is...
  OK - you have to be careful about amp choice for NS1000s! I'M SERIOUS!   Just been testing them with a borrowed Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 with upgraded PSU, caps, tubes etc.  This is a heck of an amp: a few hundred quid's worth of amp.  With DT770 Pro or HD600s it sounds brilliant.     It does not drive the NS1000s in passive mode well at all though.  My FiiO e5 and CMOY are both more suited to the NS1000s.  This is, quite honestly, night and day improvement...
Bravura is not actually a 'full X-Fi'.  It's like a very high spec version of Creative's Xtreme Audio, which is effectively a rebranded Audigy SE.   In practice, this will make little difference unless you are a gamer, in which case the Forte has markedly superior audio processing capabilities, including processing of elevation and better positioning of sounds very close to the listener.  This only works in a limited number of games though.     The Forte is...
Just a quick bump before the last day of the auction.
Have put my JVC HA-RX700s on ebay UK.   http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110629884389#ht_500wt_1156   They're listed as no international postage but will consider sending internationally if you contact me through Head-Fi in advance to agree postage.
I'll add that not all headphone bassheads are going to like Dolby Headphone.  Lots of bassheads want an ear massage and it reduces that somewhat.   For speaker favouring bassheads though, it can be the next best thing to floorstanders and a sub.    The whole-body tactile feedback is, of course, missing but somehow DH gives me the impression that more than my ears are being affected.
Dolby Headphone is incredible for bass soundstage in music, convincingly rendering it remote from the listener in a very speaker like manner. You have to have the right headphones for it though. I've tried lots of headphones with Dolby Headphone and few are really convincing, especially with bass. There have been plenty of threads advocating Dolby Headphone with a channel mixer. I think the channel mixer is completely unnecessary if your headphones have good enough...
Just thought it's worth a mention: some here (including me) have claimed that Dolby Headphone isn't HRTF based. That's not strictly true - it just doesn't require custom HRTF measurements to work. Dolby do, however, claim to 'recreate the HRTF' of listening to a 5.1 system. See here: http://www.dolby.com/professional/IntroPack/IntroPack_DH_Impl.pdf (the bit on how Dolby Headphone works). Edit: you can see where some of the confusion has arisen from. Dolby's own...