Posts by KLJTech

That's what I've heard with my W4R's (my son now has them) and W40's plus they changed the connector as well.
reddog, The Gungnir is a sweet sounding DAC that competes well above its price point in my opinion. I will say that the best sound I've had achieved was when I had an R-2R/ladder type DAC and a nice transport as my front end so I have very high hopes for the upcoming Yggdrasil (It's difficult not to have a ton of faith in an end-game DAC designed by Mike Moffat). Though it was the best sound I've ever been able to squeeze out of my system, it's really an unfair comparison....
I would never claim to be an expert, I'm simply someone that is addicted to music and have been buying components and speakers to play said music on since the mid-80's. In my opinion, most (not all) of your better DAC's and amps have gotten pretty damn good, so unless you are very aware of how your system sounds, (and you're not making changes to it all the time) you may not even be able to tell the difference between two pretty good DAC's. With a firm grasp on how your...
 You have to clean the posts and tips now and then with rubbing Alcohol. I simply dip a Q-Tip in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and clean the tips every few days. I also clean off the posts every once in a while and that makes the start tips stay in place (like they're glued in place). You can also buy a package of the tip size you use from Amazon for very little money and replace the tip now and then.  I went a on a cruise a couple years ago and on the first day one of the star...
In my system, the DAC1 had good bass impact but I wasn't too fond of the highs, I prefer the Gungnir. In some else's system, with their gear who knows? I listen to my HE-500's several times a week, but most of my listening is through speakers. The room itself can have a large effect on sound too, but I've yet to hear either system sound "dark" when fronted by the Gungnir. What's important is what you're hearing in your setup, if yours sound dark with the Gungnir then I'd...
In my home system (Parasound A21 & Magnepan 1.7) and office system (A23 & B&W 805N/CDM 1NT, Velodyne sub) the Gungnir Gen2 USB does not sound "dark" at all..nor does it sound bright. Obviously opinions will vary and while we're all using different gear with the Gungnir I've never heard it sound anything but clean/neutral, transparent and dynamic. I find the way many recordings nowadays are being mastered far more concerning than the components I'm using, especially the...
One of the things that simply drives me crazy these days in this passion/hobby is how many poorly made some CD's/albums/music files are. I can play a CD's for you that are so clean and transparent that you can hear every little detail, like taking a breath before singing the next verse and the soundstage is huge, deeper than my back wall and wider than the room's side walls. Other's are so compressed that the music lacks dynamics and most everything is hanging there...
 I didn't remove anything from the tube, I was asking if that's the part/filter he's talking about. That's all I see when I look in mine and it appears to serve a purpose in helping to keep debris out of the IEM.  
I use the red covers as well, mainly because it lets me see left from right a bit easier/quicker on the go...they do look good.   What filter did you remove? I see a silver(?) ring inside that I assume is the outer ring of a screen that is there to prevent anything from getting inside the IEM. Is that what you removed?
 I have too many expensive hobbies and since the W40's aren't my primary method for listening to music they'll be perfectly fine (better than that actually) until I decide to seek out something that's even better.