Posts by KLJTech

I've been a music lover since my early teens (decades ago) and later on truly enjoyed listening to and buying the best home stereo gear "I could afford" since the mid to late 80's. So, I'm very use to turning my amp off first and then my source gear and reversing the order when turning the gear back on. Ever since I started reading gear reviews and trying to find out as much information as possible about the components I'm interested in it's certainly been in vogue to have...
THe HE-400 and 500's sound great with the Schiit Audio Lyr plus it does a wonderful job of making AKG K701's sound fuller (better bottom end) and more dynamic.    Sorry, didn't see the price range you had mentioned. 
I have the Lyr and the Asgard 2, haven't used the A2 for headphones enough yet to give an honest take on how much difference there is and what those differences are beyond the Lyr having a lot more gain. I "think" the Lyr has a warmer midrange, but it's really too soon to say for sure. Once I have a better handle on the A2 has a headphone amp I'll post my thoughts on it versus the Lyr.  Both the Lyr and A2 give you preamp outs and that can come in very handy as it gives...
The A21 and A23 have Loop Out's on the back of the amp and you can use those to send the signal to your sub. 
It makes for a sweet sounding single source preamp too. Runnning a DAC to mine and the Asgard 2 feeds a Parasound A21 (to Magnepan 1.7's & Velodyne DD-10) and it sounds stellar. Oh and it sounds sweet with my B&W P7 headphones as well. The Asgard 2 is hard to beat for the money. 
 What type of source files are you using to judge the B&W P7...MP3, WAV or FLAC? I've never listened to my P7's with anything less than a CD ripped to FLAC using the very least amount of compression or a non-compressed WAV files. I find that the P7's scales well with better gear so I have to think that less than stellar music files will sound impressive than higher quality rips.  Best of luck with your latest pair! 
I enjoy the P7's a lot more than the P5's, not only do they sound better, but they're more comfortable as well (to me at least).   If you can't or prefer not to spend the $400 on the P7's you may want to consider picking up the NAD Viso HP50's ($299) instead of the P5's (Amazon has the P5's for $289 at the moment). I prefer the P7's to the NAD's, but many seem to love the HP50's and they're circumaural like the B&W P7's and in "my opinion" they too sound better than the...
 What headphones are you driving that the E12 isn't controlling? You may have to go up a bit in price point if the Mont Blanc isn't getting the job done for ya. Good luck!
Nice review!   Don't know exactly what it is about the P7's, but they've been my most used can's ever since I bought them a month or so ago. Funny thing is, I was sure that I'd give them a shot and would most likely return them since I've never been a huge fan of closed back headphones yet something about these just makes me very, very happy. Gotta love B&W's R&D and I have to think that the speaker-like driver with a surround has something to do with the wonderful...
Mine just arrived this past Thursday and the board is marked 1.31...not sure if any changes have been made along the way other than the issue they had with that batch of transformers.