Posts by purrin

Yeah :-) One aspect of it, although I think LH has done a decent job of making SABRE listenable. I think there's a secret way to change the filters on the Pulse SE. You can get really different sound - I haven't decided on a favorite yet. It's more different sounding filters than one significantly better than the other.   If you run a PC, try out JRiver MC20 to real-time convert PCM to DSD to feed the Geek Out. The GO DACs (along with a lot of Sabre stuff) seems to treat...
 Never said ACSS was BS. Just said the effects of ACSS are insignificant in the larger scheme of things, along with speshal USB to i2s, silver wiring, magnetic rocks, mods with boutique parts, femto-clocks, EMI shielding, some of the stuff I use myself.
 Strangely enough, only the few weirdos on the Internet seem to claim to have fantastical hearing abilities bordering on the clairvoyant. Now I've heard stories of people not being able to hear the difference between an O2 and a Rag; but this seem rare. In my real-life experience with real-life people, there is little or no difference in hearing capabilities between the audiophile and other regular people like my wife, young kids, relatives, or co-workers. The differences...
 There are others. Generally, it's the people who are familiar with very good tube gear that come away unimpressed. I can't speak for the Big 6 or 7, but 4, 5, Big 5: fantastic tube section which let me hear the mediocrity of the digital section (a very obvious delta-sigma signature). I suppose the use of a good USB-SPDIF converter would help, but that's just adding another $1100-$2400. Also, if Lampi DACs are that great, why are so many being dumped on the 'gon at any...
 Point is that I would easily take Yggy -> XLR -> Master 9 rather than AGD Master 7 -> ACSS -> AGD Master 9 for the sake of ACSS. Yes, ACSS makes a slight difference, but it tends to make people huff-and-puff and get all OCD about it. I could imagine people get all stressed out about the overarching need to keep the ACSS and stick with a far far inferior DAC (or any piece of equipment less complementary to the rest of the chain) just to maintain the ACSS "awesomeness",...
 The TOTL AGD stuff, especially the DACs, has slowly crept up in price. AGD is no longer the deal it used to be. The price of the predecessor to the Master 7, the Ref 1 was silly for just over a grand a few years ago. The most expensive parts in the Master 7 are the PCM1704 chips, the price of which is set by Texas instruments. The downturn in the US economy a few years ago and the decline of unions has resulted in an adjustment to US labor rates. Also labor costs are...
 The Master 7 (USB) DAC is not in the same league as the Yggy (USB). In fact, the Master 7 with a fully loaded $2300 Empirical Off-Ramp 5 USB to i2s converter is still not in the same league as the Yggy nor even the Yggy's spiritual predecessor from more than 20 years ago, the Theta Gen V. ACSS = essentially a gimmick. It matters a tiny bit, but overall implementation of the gear in question will trump interconnect method. ACSS was nonsense that Krell cooked up and AGD...
If you liked how the Hugo sounded, your best bet would be the X-Sabre. Gungnir has a lot of slam and attack, has mediocre resolution, can be aggressive, but is also smooth. These two DACs are good, but diametrically different in approach.  Best way to cure M7's ills is an Off-Ramp 5 USB to i2s converter with DACLadders HDMI kit. I've tweaked all that stuff (PLL, oversampling, filters, etc.). There were some settings that I liked or found interesting, but I always came back...
  LOL. I would probably agree the Hugo is better than M7 with the old USB. I've said this many times before, the M7 with the old USB was extremely mediocre. The new M7 USB is quite a bit better, although it seems the M7 has slowly creeped up in price where it's no longer a value proposition. This is how I would break the DACs down qualitatively in terms of sonics. Hugo (DAC)--Lean tonally-Slightly coarse treble+Better attack and incisiveness+Better bass control+More...
March or something? Somewhere on this site. CanJam