Posts by Percival

Interesting stuff indeed.   I have a pair of headphones which are obviously copies of the Baldwin ones. They belonged to my great-uncle, who was a signal operator in the British Army during WWI. They don't have any brand name on them. All they have etched into the cup is the impedance - 4000 ohms!  Oddly, Grado cups fit into the headband. Not surprising given the antiquated style of Grados. The WWI 'phones are more robust (although I don't thing the moving iron...
I use my HD25s mainly for watching TV late at night. The lightness and isolation comes in handy. With the velour pads, I find I hardly even notice I'm wearing them!   I have them connected via an HD600 cable (just because it's longer than the stock cable basically), but the plug is a bit loose in the left cup. I'll have to try re-jigging the springs per the helpful earlier post.   Narrow soundstage isn't a problem due to the fact that the signal comes via a JVC...
Another PM sent.
PM sent
Regarding the OP1632, you may wish to read what Russ has to say on the subject.   http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/160782-buffalo-ii-75.html#post2288682
The Ivy III can run both with no modifications. As for balanced outs just for 'phones, that's just what I do. I bypassed the output resistors for some additional damping. It's all in the Ivy III manual anyway.   Enjoy.
Well the Ivy III is the output stage I use, I don't think you can connect direct to the Buffalo PCB. The Ivy III certainly does work well as a HP amp, no need to add more stuff to the chain than necessary IMHO. The JT is an analogue attenuator and they're not on sale at the moment anyway. I would say go for the Volumite.  
I bought the Buffalo II, the Ivy III, 2 Placids and a Volumite. This combination works wonderfully as a DAC/preamp. No need for an extra headphone amp  the Ivy III will power any headphone (up to 150mA available if I remember correctly). You can use the balanced and SE outputs at the same time. I connect my HD600s to the balanced outputs - superb.   I use the Volumite as a volume control - the Buffalo II PCB has pins especially to power it, so installation is easy....
Bought a Victor JVC SU-DH1 Surround Adaptor from him and it was delivered quickly (from Portugal) and works fine.
I thought balanced meant 2 separate XLR connectors - one for each driver.