Posts by Planar_head

Paprika: 10/10   It's a living organism of a movie. Twists and turns, and visuals to match. Definitely not for everyone, but those who like movies like "Inception" will like this movie.
 That's an awfully narrow point of view. It's like you're saying the computers design the car, not people. What do you think all those engineers are for? People are still very much involved in the design, but the medium in which a car is designed is much different. As much as you'd like to believe that there was some magic to the "cut and try" era, it's not what is representative of how modern engineering works. I'd wish for more room in the rules for teams to run...
It seems I wait at least three years to watch a popular movie.   John Wick: 8/10   As far as revenge movies go, this is one of my favorites. The action, as everyone and their dog says, is quite good. The action is stripped down to realism -- no one's throwing people across the room, which is rather refreshing. Not to linger too long on the subject, but it's uncommon for action to feel quite as visceral as this. The cinematography is well done and top notch. Colors are...
Princess Mononoke: 9.5/10   I saw this in theaters yesterday. Japanese subtitles.   In a word: amazing. It deals with such sweeping themes with the ease of a child yet gives them incredible magnitude it can only be admired. It deals with dualities such as nature and humanity, love and hate, life and death, greed and generosity. I was astounded in the way all of these were balanced, none over the other. The animation quality was incredible and it's pure Studio Ghibli....
Rogue One: 7/10   My biggest gripe with the movie was the minimal character development and focus on big "set pieces" to satisfy the Michael Bay crowd. I didn't care for any of the characters in the movie, and while I think the final scene on the Imperial planet was telegraphed well, it was still awkward and useless for presenting the feelings of the characters. I want less explosions and more talking! These characters seem like they would be genuinely likable if more...
At one time they did have the original trilogy with two DVDs per box: one with the remastered version and the original theatrical version. I have all three, and it's funny watching the remastered with all the crap Lucas put in compared to the streamlined efficacy of the original.
 Based on your recommendation, I bought some... definitely a very good scotch. As for other whiskeys I bought or tried... Suntory TokiVery interesting. I picked this up because it was inexpensive, and I've always wanted to try a Japanese whisky. I've had others taste it, and it is reminiscent of sake. It is smoky (not like sake) but not overwhelmingly so, though those who don't particularly like that won't find it very appealing. I guess it is like sake as it seems a touch...
The Magnificent Seven (2016): 6/10   Very okay. Too centered around two characters, one of which is very distracting. (Gosh darn it, how did Chris Pratt get this role while pulling such a half-assed Wild West accent? He sounds way too educated for some of his lines in this movie.) The tone of the movie was very scattered. Cinematography paled in comparison to some of the greats of the era. It invites these comparisons since they attempt to riff on classics like the...
Reservoir Dogs on Ice... I mean The Hateful 8: 7/10   It had it's moments, but not much more. I'm a big Tarantino fan (watched Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs many, many times) but I can't say this one took the cake for me.   It's a slow burner for sure, but it doesn't have the epic scale of classic slow burn Japanese films (which by modern movie pace would seem glacial), thus negating the purpose of the slow burn. There was tension there, but considering all of the...