Posts by colinharding

I was never a fan of any Musical Fidelity gear, as I said previously; working in a local HiFi shop when I was much younger, MF gear represented the majority of traded in components.  People either had purchased it elsewhere or it had broken and in either case were not pleased with the sound so they moved onto something else.  I'm not trying to extrapolate my experience onto the MF owner's population at large, just recounting my own dealings with the equipment.  I've...
  Thank you. I was alluding to that point in my own response, but did not have enough technical knowledge to explain it so succinctly.  As I said before, there is more at play here than just the FR.
Those who are younger can hear much higher into the frequency range, topping at around 19k.  However, they cannot hear as low.  So although you might not be able to hear past 10k you can hear much lower than those that are younger than yourself.  
No, he wrestled the gear from the bears!  The audiophile comes in all shapes and sizes Armaegis. 
Those reviews seem a bit harsh haha, to be honest what I'm suggesting in terms of equipment will be so far the opposite of what you're currently using it will make your head spin.  The DAC you are using is going for the ultimate HiFi approach, extreme bass slam, high extension, detail retrieval, and frequency response.  It is over-engineered to achieve jaw dropping specs, not natural sound.  What I'm suggesting is a completely reversed approach, and I'd implore you to...
Is that what the reviews are saying haha?  I really didn't find the Bel Canto to be clinical at all, very smooth DAC if anything, it was just as lush if not lusher than the 563.  Not as lush as the Matrix though.  If the benchmark is the extreme in clinical DACs and the Audio Note is the other extreme the Bel Canto would sit halfway between neutral and the AN DAC.  It's really not clinical at all.  
  Averagejoe is correct; frequency response is a guide - not a rule, I'd be a little more cautions about using your eyes more than your ears when trying to pick something out for the way it sounds.  Even if you find your perfect FR you may not like how the IEM produces that FR, there's a bit more at play here than just graphs and spec sheets otherwise we'd all be cranking these things out in our basements.  You've quite a specific list of requirements so I really hope you...
The 566 is just the 20bit successor to the 563, I've personally never heard it but I'm sure they sound very close if not exactly the same.  Improvements like this don't tend to make an absolutely jaw dropping difference.  I know the owner of Synthesis very well, that's how I ended up buying the DAC in the first place as I had to talk to him quite often as I'd never heard of the company nor could I find a retailer in the US.  So I might be able to work you a deal...
      No, not in the context of IEMs at large, but juxtaposed with the SM3 I found that the EQ-5 was a skosh brighter.  More treble presence does not necessarily make it sonically brighter, it is the sound signature as a whole that I found brighter than that of the SM3 but not by a large margin.  Everyone hears a bit differently though, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.  
SM3 is very analogue sounding, smooth, warm, forward mids, rolled off highs, old school tone.  I was a big fan.  EQ5 is more of a modern HiFi sound IMO, brighter, faster, more in your face, very EQ'd, but less natural.