Posts by colinharding

I'm not sure you're on the same page here....   Let's take this one by one as you've done to really pinpoint the issues at hand.     As standard the 2.1 Signature has a non digital totally unsatisfying but non digital sound. It lacks detail, dynamics, rhythm and pace all IMHO of course and subject to my standard.   Grammar aside, this sentence leads me to believe that in its stock form you did not like the AN DAC...from which I can then make an accurate...
    Well I think your first sentence really outlines our differences.  I enjoy the AN 2.1 exactly because it exhibits a very analogue sound, digital sound IMHO is harsh and overly detailed with a very lean presentation.  The AN DAC is warm, laid back, heavy, rich and tonally correct.  Your views are in congruence with the HiFi world at large, which is by no means to say that they are wrong, I just do not share the same opinion.  AN continually receives lack lust reviews...
  235 watts for 96 db per channel?! Why? (Are those KT88 or 66 btw?)  I'm running Jensen P15LL with Altec 802b Horns with a combined efficiency of 98 db and only using about 10 watts at max and can certainly drive them past ear bleeding volumes.  Had a vintage pair of Tannoy Super Reds before the Jensens, so I definitely share your appreciation of those speakers.  Those are absolutely gorgeous cabinets!!!!
  Understood, but you've also started with a great piece of hardware....something in which the upgrade will be realized.  An async USB solution that can compete with a 2.1 signature, I'm at a loss for any.  Sure they (the async USB solutions) may have better jitter control but that is not even half the battle nor does it extrapolate to the sound signature of the equipment in question. In other words, having zero jitter is a start, but by no means the keystone or...

Here is a quote from the Stereophile review of the NAD M51,   "But this album is a torture chamber of tangled bass, and I sensed a very slight thickening compared to the Benchmark. Or perhaps the Benchmark was a touch too thin . . . ?"   I think that just about sums it up.  It will be "a touch" more musical than the Benchmark but man that isn't saying much.
Oh well, definitely let us know when you get the 563! Or any other DAC for that matter
  Didn't know anyone used SAP gear.  They used to retail state side with a distributor in Hawaii but that didn't last very long, I think Vincenzo cut that short when he realized the shipping wasn't any cheaper for those in the upper 48.  The Relaxa plate is a very good product, their speakers are also very nice if you've tried any.         Try Minus K Technology for ultimate isolation.
  Really? Isn't magnet wire just copper wire with an enamel on it?  I've only ever reterminated one litz cable, Audio Note cables, which are silver wire. To solder them onto the RCA connection the bare leads had to be dipped in a solder pot to take off the enamel.  Would the same process be required with the magnet wire?
  Not sure if I answered you previously but I want to say that I last paid 500 for one of those, it has been a while (2 years?) though so prices may have fluctuated since then.     It's very nice, it can be a little tame sounding when compared to the Matrix but a very cohesive unit.  If you've ever listened to Cambridge audio, it has the same signature, warm, dynamic, smooth sound.  But the Bel Canto is so much more refined.  I would venture far enough to say that it is...