Posts by colinharding

Just friendly discussion  Plantsman makes some really good points though and you should take his advice into consideration no less than you do mine.   I'm not sure you are going to get more than the two of us as far as 'audience participation' goes lol, the high end audio forum isn't the best place for this topic.  I realize that DAC is musical according to Kingwa but you have to take that with a grain of salt when his comparison is his other gear.  Everything he makes...
Hahaha sounds good to me, man 5k, that's quite a starting budget, especially considering where you started.  Did you try any of the clearaudio tt's?  The Nottinghams always sounded a bit dead to me.  Not knocking your choice by any means, that's certainly a good one!  They have a high mass low torque design where the clearaudio's go for a mix between the two, but end up leaning toward a high torque design.  
Not a bad choice, which were in the running until you settled with that one?
I mean you gotta make sure you have an excuse to by a turntable haha, corning the lp market certainly gets the job done  what tt do you have in mind?
Understandable, but you've created a contradictory argument.  If I'm striving to reproduce live music than coloured (which is a term that didn't exist until "bright" numbers satisfying equipment entered the field anyway) equipment is a necessity.  When is the last time you went to a concert that spanned an 'accurately transparent frequency range' from 20hz to 20khz?  I'll answer that for you, never.  So ascertaining neutral equipment that is transparent but also an...
Sure, but I would also just as staunchly argue that equipment by todays standards does exactly one of two points you've mentioned.  It is the dichotomy of the two, not a duality.  The equipment is either wildly harsh and detail oriented or overly mushy and warm (I'm disregarding neutral all together as a neutral opinion is intrinsically not an opinion at all), realism has taken a backseat to aggressively tailored equipment.  You have to face the fact that the...
Exactly!  "Coloured" equipment sounds real, if everything was neutral and exacting it just sounds boring and harsh.  Most people forget that they need to train their ears (go to concerts) not hone their math skills with equipment output specifications.  If everything was dependent upon specs then we'd all have what we want, unfortunately that's not the case, specs are a great guideline but hardly tell you what the end result will sound like.  Go for something that sounds...
In my teens and early twenties I worked in a local HiFi shop and Musical Fidelity was the number one piece of gear we had come in for trade or to be sold for the owner.  Frankly, you can get a lot further for your money.  The VLink is fine but only as a UBS to COAX etc conversion, it then must go through a proper DAC.  It really does a wonderful conversion job though.  Haven't heard the Cyrus DAC so I cannot comment there but I did own two Audio GD DACs.  NFB 2, if I...
I auditioned a Naim Dac with the Flat Cap power supply a year ago or so and it was your typical hifi fare.  Sparkling highs, slightly recessed miss and a fat bottom end, altogether it was a bit thin.  While a lot of these new DACs really excel in one area they have a hard time performing as a cohesive unit, and really that's the only way you'll get a richly layered performance, ie music.   I'd really give one of the older DACs I've mentioned a try and if you don't like...
  Well yeah, I'm sorry.  It isn't going to sound terrible by any means, but within the context of an external DAC there is a lot of improvement to be had.