Posts by colinharding

I'll be there in conjunction with Deja Vu Audio.  Won't have any of my 'can gear' but we'll have a few rooms setup for listening.  Just helping out, I do not work for the company but am very good friends with the owner.     --colin
Hmm that's very interesting.  In theory, and I say theory only because I haven't personally haven't heard a system setup the way you prefer, I'd have to agree with you.  As long as you're within the constraints of human hearing all other variables are negligible and you're just passing a power signal along with some musical data through the EQ.  Every amp should then work as long as it doesn't cross the distortion (or otherwise) precipice.  Yeah, ok I'll buy your argument...
Wow, ok you're not at all wrong, but it's a completely different perspective to take in light of the hifi mantra that pervades most all other opinion; who's popularity hardly gives it anymore credibility.  Regardless, that is a very interesting perspective to stand by.    May I play devil's advocate here for the sake of the science forum? ;)   Putting everything aside for the moment in search of the most neutral or transparent amp you can lay your hands on, how would...
Yes, the mastering aspect is much clearer now!  I've had no experience actually sitting in the seat of a recording engineer and I'm sure that was displayed in my previous post.  Regardless, the process is much clearer now that I've got an explanation in front of me.     So the EQ is applied directly before the speakers, which makes a lot of sense as you'd need it to be applied to everything before the speakers themselves so that the same EQ is constant regardless of the...
Bigshot,    I've been reading through this thread and have come up with a couple questions that I think you're most apt to comment on.  I just want to make sure that I'm understanding the process here as I really haven't formed an opinion for "one side or the other" yet.  I apologize in advance if this is heinously off topic.   Anyway, as a studio engineer the sound is recorded as raw data into the mixing board at which point it is the job of the studio engineer to...
lol!
 It is at the moment, haven't really needed anything else and although I'd like to re institute vinyl I've a lack of space for the table.  I do have an FM tuner which isn't half bad however ;) 
Just get this,    http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Pair-McCurdy-AM405-Monitor-Amplifiers-From-Broadcasting-Studios-Near-Mint-/190997277916?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c78532cdc   Run my HD-650s off one straight out of the amp's output...sublime.
Too slow lol? If anything old age diminishes the amount of high frequencies an ear can perceive; it has nothing to do with the "tempo" of your hearing.  Thus, you would hear more  high frequencies than someone who's your senior and should want less emphasis on their presence.  By contrast, an older person would want more emphasis so something like the EMU should sound better...which is not the case. Although I don't prefer the Benchmark either it is certainly better than...
Thought I'd share my most recent upgrade.  A new preamplifier with Western output transformers so that i'd be able to completely transformer couple my system from the preamp down. A neat feature is that I'm able to switch the preamp from transformer to cap out so that it will pair nicely with all amplifiers.  I purchased it over the Audio Note M8 and Shindo Petrus which I auditioned at the same time.  Please excuse the iPhone pictures as it was all I had at the moment.  If...