Posts by Elladan

I do have a Fiio E5, as well as a cMoy and a Meier Headsix.  The cMoy just doesn't sound good to me; also, leaving one on a plane once got the bomb squad involved.  (True story.)  The Meier sounds great, but its slightly curved case and the same security-scaring concerns prevent me from travelling with it.  I'd like a player with a really good amplifier section (and battery, obviously) so I can simplify my habit.  From this perspective, perhaps a Pono does make sense,...
Ha! Esldude, I actually came across that on my own through an article by the same guy, and had come back here to post it.  Fascinating stuff. Long story short, for increased quality, I should be looking for improved amplification and speakers/'phones.  But I don't want to carry an amplifier beyond Fiio E5 size, dammit!  In your opinion, what players have the best amplifier sections?
Yeah, I wouldn't claim to, though a higher sampling rate intuitively seems like it would be more accurate.  I have absolutely no doubt that there is enormous confirmation and/or selection bias in listening -- I've fooled myself, before -- so I don't really trust those who say "of course you can hear it, anyone who says you can't is an idiot." That said, it's no better to blindly trust those who flatly reject the notion of audible difference at higher bit and sampling rates...
The PONO appears to be a decent deal at its current kickstarter price of $300, and with just a few days left, I need to decide yea or nay.   I believe that there could be a hearable -- or "experiencable," perhaps -- difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96(192, whatever). But when people say things like "man, if you can't hear the difference between an SACD and a CD, you're deaf," I get a little frustrated.  An SACD is almost certainly going to be a remaster, right?  And...
White Lotus, please do report on he DN-1000s! I've listened to the Shures, and while they were fairly bassy, I found them a little boring.I did try Westone ADV Alphas yesterday. I liked them a lot, but they didn't work at all when plugged into my Moto X. iPhone remote incompatibility?And the ie8 has been recommended to me before, but I've never had a chance to try them. That's a big price tag for 'phones I can't sample before buying!
Hi, folks. I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place; feel free to move or delete it if necessary. This is actually a repost from the Recommendations forum, where it exists under the subject "Basshead wants help, where somebody advised me to check with you guys. Although I have a HUGE appreciation for the work ljokerl has done is his Multi-IEM review and for his skills as a critical listener, I think he and I have different ears and different priorities. 'Phones...
Thanks, I'll look into the Senns! I'll also post over in the BassHeads club. Thanks for the tip: I've actually got a couple of petals headphone amps, including a bass boost Cmoy and another, much nicer amp, but I've found traveling with them to be problematic (see a post I made a couple of years ago for a story including the TSA and the bomb squad); for more mundane size reasons, cans aren't really an option.
Although I have a HUGE appreciation for the work ljokerl has done is his Multi-IEM review and for his skills as a critical listener, I think he and I have different ears and different priorities.  'Phones that he describes as balanced, or even as mildly bass-heavy, often come across to me as thin, even anemic-sounding.  My idea of "balanced" includes a lot more bass than his, perhaps because of my musical tastes -- which begin with live music, though I don't listen to...
I'm looking for a set of Radius IEMs, either the original Radius HP-TWF11R Pro "DDM" or the  Radius HP-TWF21.  I would prefer a US seller, but would happily take them from anywhere I can get them.  Anyone?  Anyone?
I recently built a PC setup for all my home entertainment.  I use a 50" plasma TV for a monitor, have a blu-ray drive on the PC, but I mostly play games and listen to music (FLAC and mostly high-bitrate mp3), rather than watch movies, and I no longer even bother cable.   Currently, my audio is handled by my on-board Realtek ALC889 audio codec, which I send via optical output to a nice (though pre-HDMI) Denon 7.1 channel receiver.  Because I'm living in a small attic...