or Connect

Posts by javahut

I wouldn't, as much as I love the w60. I use mine with a note 2 digital out to an rsa predator dac/amp. the only reason I would say you shouldn't is that the w60 has so much potential to sound awesome with the right dac/amp. but straight out of the note 2's headphone jack... it's great, but it's not nearly at its full potential. so I wouldn't think it's necessarily worth the $1k price tag unless you plan to upgrade to a higher grade dac/amp at some point. if I was just...
I can't imagine turning the volume up on the 1540 loud enough to distort the bass, and being able to listen to it for any length of time... and not be scared of damaging my hearing. Would be damn loud. And I listen to some really bass heavy electronic music sometimes. But then again, I'm old... so there's that.
I know you said entry level. But since that's relative... I'd also suggest Ray Samuels Audio "The Predator" portable DAC/Amp...around $450 I think. I use it just as you described your set up... Android USB OTG out to Predator to W60, using at least CD quality flac. Sounds awesome!
FWIW, I never use eq to listen to a stereo mix... of commercial releases, or any other final mixes. if I have speakers, iems, or phones that don't sound right to me with no eq... I need to get different ones. otherwise it's just the way the artist intended it, or it's a bad mix and I probably won't be listening to it (unless I remaster it myself). moral of the story... you shouldn't have to use eq... and you shouldn't use eq.
No mods for me.   For reference, I'm used to listening through Westone W60 with an RSA Predator DAC/amp. Also, Event Opal studio monitors via direct out from RME Fireface 800. Sometimes I listen to Shure SE846, thought not nearly as often since the W60s.   Have to confess, when I first got the 1540 and listened to them... I thought there was no way I could handle the little bass hump. When I went back to them later, I guess my ears or something broke in to them....
It's not just about enough power to drive the iem loud enough for you. My W60 sound okay straight from my Note 2. But not even close to running digital usb out and letting an RSA Predator do the conversion and amping. Now that's hi-def hi-fi!
Complete nonsense.First, you don't have my ears, nor my taste in sound quality, so you have no idea what the W60 sounds like to me.Second, I don't know what eartip you used with the W60, but if you haven't made them work for you with the Sensorcom EarPortz, then you haven't heard the W60 at it's absolute best.Third, what your describing as a sound that "obliterates" the W60 sounds to me like a description of an overly hyped sound signature designed to impress on first...
I own the 846 & W60, also. Haven't touched the 846 since recieving the W60. The W60 has so much more "tone" in the low end & low-mids. Not to mention a much smoother and extended high end. The W60 is so much more musical overall. It seems like a richer, more complex listening experience to me. The 846 has sub-low end and treble, by comparison, and that's about it. Just pointing out a differing viewpoint. Tastes vary.
the 846 has great sub lows, but the w60 has much more discernable tone to the low end. and I don't think I've ever heard the w60 highs sound harsh on anything I've listened to. very warm mids, and smooth as silk mids and highs. my preference is the w60 (with the right ear tip), but I like the 846 for what it does well, too.
 This is where we would have to agree to disagree. I would never describe the 846 mid-range as "lush". Smooth?... maybe. I don't want the bass isolated from the lower midrange. I want to hear it all. With the W60, I can... with loads of detail. With the 846, it sounds like it's missing an entire range of frequencies between the sub and the mids. The upper low end and lower mid-range is what makes the "smooth/honey-like" midrange. Without it, as in the 846, all I hear is...