Posts by javahut

the 846 has great sub lows, but the w60 has much more discernable tone to the low end. and I don't think I've ever heard the w60 highs sound harsh on anything I've listened to. very warm mids, and smooth as silk mids and highs. my preference is the w60 (with the right ear tip), but I like the 846 for what it does well, too.
 This is where we would have to agree to disagree. I would never describe the 846 mid-range as "lush". Smooth?... maybe. I don't want the bass isolated from the lower midrange. I want to hear it all. With the W60, I can... with loads of detail. With the 846, it sounds like it's missing an entire range of frequencies between the sub and the mids. The upper low end and lower mid-range is what makes the "smooth/honey-like" midrange. Without it, as in the 846, all I hear is...
Yes, I know. But the notion of "hearing" platinum gives me a feeling of cold and sterile. Liquid gold seems to better describe what's flowing through my eardrums and brain when I'm listening to the W60. So, definitely more metaphorically speaking than a literal $ value. Though both platinum and gold only have any value whatsover as is artificially given to them by society. Whereas, the exquisite sound of the W60 is more intrinsically valuable to me personally than either...
Nonsense. The 846 is like being at the movie theatre listening to the soundtrack for Batman. The W60s are like listening to the Charles Lloyd Quartet live with all the subtleties and dynamics. Not that the W60s are good only for certain types of music. They're great for everything I listen to... from acoustic jazz to avant-garde electonic. They are warm, and super detailed throughout the frequency range. They have a lot of detail that the 846 is missing. They don't sound...
Yeah, I agree that using standard tips, the W60 does have more quantity of low end, and possibly even high end, so that it sounds acceptable using the standard tips. Whereas the W4 was really quite "flat" sounding using standard tips. The W60 does fix that. But use the wide bore double flange tips from Sensorcom, EarSonics, or Earphonesplus' double or triple flange and the W4 & especially W60 sound quality, including high freqs and low end impact, improves significantly...
I'll repeat part of my post from the W50/W60 thread, but wanted to get it in here as a "mini-review" that has a different lean than some of the impressions posted so far.   I listen via FLAC only from Power Amp on a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 digital out, into RSA Predator DAC/amp. My previous IEM experience is with Shure E5c, Shure E500, Shure SE530, Shure SE846, Westone 3, 4 and now W60. I listen to a lot of electronic, avant-garde, noise, jazz, rock... mostly, but some...
To me, the W60 bass quantity is similar, but lo, lo-mids, mids, quality and detail are much better than the W4. The detail in those freqs is amazing and special to listen to... as amazing as the subs are on the 846. The sub lows maybe not be quite as deep... but everything above that is much more detailed. You can notice notes on low/mid freqs that just sound like great sub on the 846, comparitively. The high end is also much better than W4 and 846. So smooth, but seems...
Woo hoo! W60 shipping out to me today! Looking forward to hearing that smoove Westone tone... at its finest to date!
So I guess that was a demo set of W60s you tried in the store, and they weren't available to buy and take with you yet?
Soon as that W60 gets here...