Posts by BigEar

You do realise that the devialet is a way to piggyback a class A line-stage without huge power consumption and heat ... none of which are factors with headphones.   For headphones and with a huge budget I'd look into a real multibit DAC like the MSB's and a tube amplifier with a large rolling potential and very good technical parameters. Something like these two...
I don't think you'll need it unless you have something unfathomably hard to drive     Of course you do not need the full power, however 3-4 W of power for a headphone amp is not abnormal, especially when you have magnetostatics to drive like LCD-2 or the good old K1000 and the amp can be software tuned to that level. But you are missing the point, that this is one of the best integrated dac/amps is of the world and you could actually use it to drive your phones...
This amp had some impressive reviews. I heard it on Wilson speakers. Big advantages are: - ultra high end digital resolution, very revealing, excellent macro and micro dynamics, very impressive spacious resolution. - compact size, containing DAC/preamp / amp system - will be fitted with WIFI interface this summer, providing the best link possible to your streaming music collection. - programmable, you can vary the output power (now between 190 -> 240 W) and the...
I rewired them with silver.gold wire to use with a Rudistor balanced amp. After modification they sounded initially very bright. Now, after approx. 100hrs burn-in, things get much better and they show much more microdetail then the orginal onces. Imaging is good, as if you are in the frontseat. Dynamics show a big improvement too over the original.  
Hi,   I agree, it is ridiculous difficult to find any real reviews on the new Chroma. Not sure why. Personally I have 2 headphone amps made by Rudi. They sound great.   Some information can be found in this forum on the link below.   http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495093/whats-up-with-t-he-chroma-1/30   Reviews from people that actually bougth the headphone are all very positive, opposite to people that only have a opinion on it. Also there was a...
Just wondering what's the difference in sound when driving the Chroma's balanced vs. unbalanced. I've a RPX-300, so can drive both. However, getting the Chroma's balanced adds some costs (about 100 Euro). So will that be worth it?
  Any word on the technicalities of the USB DAC section?   Good question, I was also looking at this amp to combine with a HD800 / T1 /HE-6 or so.   Although you can't find much technical info on the DAC at the MF website, I managed to find text below.     Onboard 16-bit, 48 kHz DAC The USB input uses a circuit that's similar to what's onboard the M6i and M6PRE. It accepts CD-resolution data (up to 16-bit, 48 kHz) and is processed by an onboard 16-bit...
Yes, I would say that it has two–one is that the treble is a bit etched, similar to the way that the M50 has a slightly metallic weight to its treble, and the other is that while it does have authoritative bass and a full-bodied sound, overall it doesn’t feel as connected to your body as dynamic headphones do.   As a long time O2 owner I noticed that these cans are very sensitive on driver and front-end. I heard the 717 when I bought them and share your observation...
It took me a couple of evenings and a sunday afternoon, so approx. 8 hours. It's not really difficult to build, but I guess you must have some DIY experience. When you follow the manual Guido wrote, little can go wrong. And in case you get stuck, Guido's support is very good. Unfortunally I had not yet the chance to compare it to other real high-end players, but there are already some very positive reviews on the web that compare this player to players with a 2 - 4...
I finished the Tentlabs CD player a week ago, so it does not have long playing hours yet. However, it really is magnificent already. By far the best I ever heard. Tonal balance is neutral and yet very musical. Probably the tube output stage helps on that. Instruments feel natural and you can feel the air around them. It has a very good resolution with ton's of low level detail. The ritmic timing is very accurate and it has a very high resolution also at low...