or Connect

Posts by BigEar

The boost is needed for the HE-6 depending on the music you listen. I had ordered a M11 without and found that especially for some dynamic classical music pieces, I had to crank the volume sometimes past 90. So I ordered a booster upgrade. 
 Can't judge yet on the M11 as I noticed with the NFB28 that also the USB receiver needs a burn-in period. What I noticed on the NFB28 is that the USB (on a PC with JRiver & JPlay) made a larger projection of the sound but with some minor digital glare. The Rpi SPDIF combi sounds smaller but to me more natural. I use the electrical RCA connection which is decoupled by a transformer. I would have preferred AES but there is no connector board for the Pi, optical connections...
 Originally Posted by bimmer100 Last week my Master 11 arrived (USB32 version). I had a NFB 28 loaner for a month. Even with very few playing hours on the M11, I agree with Bimmer100, it's a big step up. Although I was already impressed by the NFB28, the M11 betters it on most points. Music is more real, instruments have better separation, voices have more natural timbres. I do not 'hear' the amplifier stage, it seems not to add anything to the sound in a positive way...
  You do realise that the devialet is a way to piggyback a class A line-stage without huge power consumption and heat ... none of which are factors with headphones.   For headphones and with a huge budget I'd look into a real multibit DAC like the MSB's and a tube amplifier with a large rolling potential and very good technical parameters. Something like these two...
I don't think you'll need it unless you have something unfathomably hard to drive     Of course you do not need the full power, however 3-4 W of power for a headphone amp is not abnormal, especially when you have magnetostatics to drive like LCD-2 or the good old K1000 and the amp can be software tuned to that level. But you are missing the point, that this is one of the best integrated dac/amps is of the world and you could actually use it to drive your phones...
This amp had some impressive reviews. I heard it on Wilson speakers. Big advantages are: - ultra high end digital resolution, very revealing, excellent macro and micro dynamics, very impressive spacious resolution. - compact size, containing DAC/preamp / amp system - will be fitted with WIFI interface this summer, providing the best link possible to your streaming music collection. - programmable, you can vary the output power (now between 190 -> 240 W) and the...
I rewired them with silver.gold wire to use with a Rudistor balanced amp. After modification they sounded initially very bright. Now, after approx. 100hrs burn-in, things get much better and they show much more microdetail then the orginal onces. Imaging is good, as if you are in the frontseat. Dynamics show a big improvement too over the original.  
Hi,   I agree, it is ridiculous difficult to find any real reviews on the new Chroma. Not sure why. Personally I have 2 headphone amps made by Rudi. They sound great.   Some information can be found in this forum on the link below.   http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495093/whats-up-with-t-he-chroma-1/30   Reviews from people that actually bougth the headphone are all very positive, opposite to people that only have a opinion on it. Also there was a...
Just wondering what's the difference in sound when driving the Chroma's balanced vs. unbalanced. I've a RPX-300, so can drive both. However, getting the Chroma's balanced adds some costs (about 100 Euro). So will that be worth it?
  Any word on the technicalities of the USB DAC section?   Good question, I was also looking at this amp to combine with a HD800 / T1 /HE-6 or so.   Although you can't find much technical info on the DAC at the MF website, I managed to find text below.     Onboard 16-bit, 48 kHz DAC The USB input uses a circuit that's similar to what's onboard the M6i and M6PRE. It accepts CD-resolution data (up to 16-bit, 48 kHz) and is processed by an onboard 16-bit...