or Connect

Posts by TheAttorney

Thank you brightonjel and romaz. Those sonictransporters look interesting. Considering that a big attraction of the DAVE for me was it's small size, I'm also looking at a small, low maintenance server, and the basic sonictransporter has an option for up to 2TB of internal SSD, which will be more than enough for all my redbook FLAC files (if I ever go DSD, I can always add a NAS drive later). As it's fanless as well, that means absolutely no moving parts and small enough...
Based on previous experience, before getting the Yggy, a typical powerstrip from a DIY store will degrade the sound compared  to direct to wall socket. And a carefully chosen posh power conditioner will improve the sound compared to direct to wall socket. And when I say posh, I'm talking about conditioners that typically cost more than the Yggy itself.    I haven't directly tried my Yggy with/without power conditioner, but I did try different power cords, and for me,...
Please excuse my lack of experience of networking/streamer technology, but am I right in thinking that the microRendu is not a Source as such, more of a conditioner/converter between the actual source and the DAC? I.e, forgetting about the internet for a moment, you will still need a PC with Roon or HPQ etc, with internal disc drives or connection to a NAS. Or a dedicated server with the same storage requirements. And all these sources can already connect to DAVE directly,...
How well DAVE performs on RCA or XLR is only half the question. The other half is how well the amp performs with the same configuration. As I had previously stated, I preferred XLR between DAVE and the fully balanced BHSE. Admittedly the makes of cable were different (with the SE cable being more expensive).  
 Is this a new model? I don't recall it being this long when I had previously visited their site. BTW, in the UK, 14" means 14 inches. The actual length is a whopping 14 feet! (14'). Strange that this should be the optimal length becuase coiling an optical cable does degrade the light transmission, so I wonder what the plus side is of the longer cable to overcome that down side? Anyway, I've heard this one mentioned enough times now that I've just ordered it. Curious how...
(Although I doubt if anything conclusive can be determined in the first day of burn-in)
Hi romaz, very interesting posts - yet again.   From memory, your earlier posts I think said that you could hear no (or very little) differences between sources and digital cables into the DAVE (apologies if I remembered that wrong). But now you've found some examples where both sources and input cables do make a difference to the DAVE - whether that SQ difference is worth the price difference is a separate question. 
I'm glad to see another impression closely matching my own experience with the DAVE/BHSE/009, so it's not just my imagination then :o)As I've been an electrostatics kinda guy for several years, and have finely honed onto their advantages (and possibly got used to their disadvantages), I'm therefore possibly more critical of any dynamics strengths/weaknesses than most.  However, I still like the idea of a simpler DAVE->Dynamics alternative for when I want to skip the ritual...
Two things to try, the first is free, the second costs a fortune: 1. If your 009's are not already a loose fit, very carefully bend out the plastic arcs to get a looser fit (it's plastic so do so at your own risk). This will subtley increase bass (especially lowest bass). There is a tipping point were too loose and the bass starts getting flabby. 2, Replace the BHSE tubes with vintage metal base. Apart from unbelievable clarity, the metal bases will give "balls" to the...
A lot of interesting information coming from bacon and romaz. It's hard to get definitive conclusions out of all this, and no reason why it necessarily should be easy. E.g. bacon thought his P10 power regenerator had a significant impact, whereas romaz has sold off most of his power conditioning components as being redundant.   The strangest part for me was why the cross-feed setting should matter so much when comparing digital inputs. Personally, I found the cross-feed...