Posts by TheAttorney

The thought of seeing a near 1000v reading across a headphone socket is just a little bit scary, but point taken that a multimeter should allow for that hopefully rare situation of amp failure or clumsy trim adjustment. My cheapo multimeter happens to go to 1000v anyway, but there are a few that stop lower, usually 500v.   FWIW, I didn't need to change the balance/offset for any of the 4 different tube sets I've now tried. They all read 40-50v when cold, dropping to a...
Any of those will work, but if the only thing you're going to use a multimeter for is to measure BHSE bias (balance & offset), then much cheaper ones will suffice - there's dozens of them under £10 on amazon. The only thing you'll be measuring is DC voltage from around 50v down to zero, and just about every cheapo multimeter will do that to an accuracy acceptable for the job. 
Update on my Mesa Boogies: The rattle has considerably reduced at start up and is silent when fully warmed up. Phew! After Herbie confirmed that the titanium C rings are near indestructable, I got out the pliers and and bent them to fit, resulting in a punchy engaging sound that, even at 20 hours, is at least good as the PHs, but different, with a more forward sound and a bass punch that I never knew my SR-007s were capable of. So, considering the price, a great result.
There's a new kid on the block, claiming to be top dog in the fuse world: Audio Horizon's modestly named "Platinum Reference More than a Fuse".   Two reviews so far show it to trounce the usual favourites (most recent one at Positive-Feedback). However, at over $100, I'm personally not rushing to try one, but wondered if any of the more hardcore fuse rollers have given it a try?
I will do just that if the MBs don't work out.   But every time I've looked into it in the past I've got thoroughly confused, and the sellers haven't had what I was looking for. So many variations of NOS and used, and seemingly no rhyme nor reason for the huge price variations. To get a quad plus spares of the famous ones requires a lot of patience, and I have no idea what to look for with the less famous ones. Old doesn't automatically mean it's great or...
I hope you also read my concerns about Quality Control, because all the way I've been completely up front about that, whilst also praising the Sound Quality. When my inner pin cracked, I did suggest to Rachel that it was because it was a combination of very thin and vey brittle plastic. The factory just needed to make it either thicker or more flexible or both. The response was basically that Psvane wasn't likely to change the design any time soon. Regarding my recently...
Oh well, in for a penny... in for £95. I've just ordered a matched quad of the Mesa BLUs and will see how they stack up.   I guess Justin will best know what sort of things can cause issues on an individual socket. However, as I didn't have any problems with the JJs or Treasures over at least the same period, I'm not inclined to raise any doubts on the BHSE.   Edit: FWIW, there's been no suspect differences in any of the balance and offset measurements at any time with...
Strangely enough, it was the same socket (Right Back) in both cases. In the first case, I switched the suspect tube to Left Back and the fault moved with the tube.
Whilst we're waiting those last few days weeks for the new batch of BHSEs, here's an update for tube rollers:   One of my second set of Psvane EL34PHs the tubes failed yesterday. The set is about 5 months old, with very roughly 400-500 hours of usage.   The failure was near identical to the failure I had with the previous set: After about 3-4 hours of being on, one of the tubes started crackling loudly (both externally and through the headphones) coinciding with sparks...
 A useful comparitive review.Exactly which MSB setup do you have? I did a quick search, but couldn't find the details.