or Connect

Posts by TheAttorney

What about all those holes drilled into the top plate? :o) Edit: I have a secondary reason for asking about the holes, which will become apparent later. But does it matter if the holes on the left hand side are blocked up by placing anything on top? I.e. are they essential to thermal stability? 
Interesting impressions yellowblue. But why do you feel the need to keep switching off the power supply? I don't recall seeing the power consumption of the mR, but I image it's pretty low, so why not just leave it on and forget about it?
Based on my experience with the HD600's, which are a great match for the iFi, and I'm guessing are easier to drive than the HD800's, I would say stick with Normal mode. The Eco mode has more than enough power in terms of maximum volume, but Normal mode brings out better punch and dynamics at the same volume.   Continuing with the HD600's, I didn't find the Turbo gave any SQ advantage over Normal, so Normal it is for me and the battery still lasts for ages in this mode.
More impressions, rather than reviews, but see page 15 (currently the last page) of the Metrum Pavane thread.   There are so may variables involved in any subjective response. I've heard my own Yggy sounding a bit thin and flat (but still very good overall) with the stock power cord and the weakest digital interconnect (AES in my case). That transformed to a better class of DAC that was no way thin or flat with a better power cord and best digital interconnect (toslink...
Having owned a few Transparent Audio cables in the past (not the latest Generation 5's, which have priced themselves off my radar) - I would say that what you're hearing is the typical TA house sound irrespective of XLR or RCA. As I had posted before, my TA Ref (Gen 4) RCA had that overall house sound, which was very pleasant, but was easily beaten for detail, openness and transparency by my TQ Black Diamond XLR's, from DAVE into my balanced BHSE. And I did volume match...
 To follow on from a parallel thread, the signal chain must be a bit more complicated than that, because there simply has to be a router in between computer and mR. If that isn't the case, then I'm interested to know how you achieved it.
 Heaven forbid that I should confuse anyone ;-) To clarify: by "low current", I also implied "low power". As you said, 40w isn't particularly low for a DAC, but compared to say a Class A power amp, it's quite low. From what I've personally heard, ALL components benefit from extended warm-up times, but people don't get to notice that for Class A or Tube amps because it would be impractical/expensive to leave such devices on 24/7. Furthermore, with a bit less certainty, I...
I take "warm-up" time to mean the time taken to sound good when switched on from cold - this is AFTER the one-tine "burn-in" time from new.  I don't think there was a consensus on warm-up time. Some said it was as long as the initial burn-in (e.g. 300 hours). Some say it is much less than that.   Whatever, you've just got to get used to leaving Yggy on all the time. But that is the same for most (low current solid state) high end equipment to sound their best - just...
It's a fair point and I can understand the reasons why. I'm just unfortunate to be one of those 0%   Anyway, I'll stop complaining now and get on with it....
Yes, thank you romaz. Very helpful as always.   I have the mR on order, so I'll be trying it no matter what :o) I still think it's a shame though that the mR simply must have a router in order to function at all. Maybe something for the designers to consider a simple default option that allows for a fixed IP address or whatever?   I tried Tidal last year and didn't extend the free trial because:   1. It was severely lacking in the the particular (non-mainstream)...