or Connect

Posts by TheAttorney

Interesting... Firstly, why not drive either headphone directly by the DAVE? Some say that anything at all in between DAVE and the headphones will lose transparency (even if there may be superficial gains in other areas). I'm open minded on that point. Secondly, did you go straight from stock to the Prion cables? Or try other options in between? Thirdly, if it's a choice is between bass and vocals performance, then vocals wins by a mile for me. I'm hoping to compare both...
Thank you zolkis. Very helpful. It was certainly the case in the analogue past that tone controls and equalizers were frowned upon by purists for doing more harm than good - apart from maybe if you were rich enough to afford a Cello equalizer. And it's one reason I haven't got round to it until now. But I was wondering if equalizers did less harm in the digital domain? You can add EQ to HQP via 3rd party apps and there's some impressively spec'd professional ones around,...
Interesting that they include a 7.5v feeder power supply for only $15 extra.   Awaiting impressions how that compares against the iFi 9v (which many mR owners probably already have) and against the bigger more expensive power supplies (both as feeder and as main supplies) - so many possibilities...  
I've been considering EQ for my SR-009.   Background: I feel the 009's are the most transparent and neutral headphones I've ever heard (there's a lot I haven't heard), but that doesn't mean they're perfect - particularly when handling "hot" recordings that include an artificial presence lift. Plus, although I feel that the 009's bass is generally peerless, they never add bass if it's not there in the recording, and anaemic bass sadly occurs all too frequently with lesser...
Yes, what happens in the upper mids is much more important than what happens in the bass IMO.
Ask again in a month's time :o)   I'm thinking of downsizing to a smaller transportable system.   Step 1: Find a very compact DAC with a great integrated headphone amp. Achieved with DAVE.   Step 2: Find a dynamics headphone that sounds anywhere near as good as my BHSE/009. So far failed miserably, but I'll be auditioning the latest crop of TOTL models, including Utopia. as soon as they're all in at the same time, same place, which the dealer reckoned would be in...
 I enjoyed your main review of the Utopia. Have you tried swapping in the Elear pads yet?That some have reported increases the Utopia bass level (for those that think the Utopia could do with a touch more bass).
From memory, the laptop has more power and flexibility than the Transporter to add third party DSP apps etc, but if you use the advanced search function on this thread, you can get any of his original posts - I think that last change was quite recent.  
@SurFi, I think that romaz has taken a break from forum posting, so you may not get a reply any time soon. In short, he found the mR made his transporter sound as good as his CAD CAT, so there was no point in holding onto the much more expensive CAD. I think since then he has moved onto a laptop.   But this is one thread that you really should persevere in reading all the way through. So much to learn...
The thing is, I understood from earlier posts that the mR is meant to be so successful at eliminating noise, that the type and quality of upstream components don't matter much. So a $500 laptop would sound just as good as a $10k server. Or something like that. Now it seems that this understanding may have been too simplistic.   My mR and DAVE DAC are on a dedicated line (including Audience TSS power conditioner). My wireless router with wallwart supply is on a different...