Posts by AgentXXL

+1!! Dale
 I'm quite happy with the stock cable other than the length and the fact that it isn't quite as flexible as I'd like - my HD800 stock cable is much more flexible but also larger and heavier. I modified the stock cables on both my HD800 and my HE-560 and then made adapters so I can use either headphone in single-ended or balanced mode. It's really quite easy to do if you have some simple soldering skills. I was going to add some paracord to make them look prettier, but the...
 No problem rolling back - just place the x3.fw file for the firmware version you want in the root directory of a FAT32 formatted microSD card and then proceed with the usual firmware update procedure (pressing and holding the Menu and Power buttons simultaneously for a few seconds until you get the updating message). I've successfully downgraded and then re-updated a couple of times. Dale
  Gery Mayes wrote: Junker wrote: Totally! Suggested this to Larry too. He could see field upgrades to custom the sound and to just play around with different flavors.  YK wrote: I suggest to include opamp sockets for opamp rolling. This was the owner can tweak it according to his taste and system setup. This flexibility may be one of the selling points of the pulse. With the many varied system out there, it is...
 Count me in the 1st group too... I just can't stand any part of the pad touching my ears. That's one reason why my HD800s with their extra-large alcantara pads are still the most comfortable headphones I've tried. I'm thinking of having a friend make some custom pads from an alcantara-like material using the retention rings from my FocusPad-A's. She's not sure if she's up to the task but her sewing and craft skills far exceed mine, so I'll wait for her to decide if it's a...
 Just as I expected... I hope they manage to maintain this schedule, but at worst I'd like to receive my Pulse X /f /i before Christmas 2014. Fingers crossed... :) Dale
 The Halo soundtracks are OUTSTANDING on the HE-560. They're mostly instrumental other than the 'monk chanting' and the occasional rock/pop track from Halo 2, but the overall rock feel definitely lends itself well to the HE-560. The Dragon Age soundtracks are also a treat to listen to on the 560. Dale
 Glad you have your 560s back... now you can enjoy them. As for your comment re: tightening the cables, I'm speaking as an electronics technologist who's worked in the medical industry for over 28 years... tightening SMC connectors by the nut ONLY is the correct way to do it. If you've had success doing it the other way, may your good luck continue shining through.  Dale
Yesterday afternoon I spent some time at the local Bryston dealer and tried the HE-560s with the Bryston BHA-1. I used my Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB DAC and fed its balanced output to the BHA-1 balanced input (had to build a custom cable, but no biggie). I fed my CLAS -dB with my Mac using Amarra 3 and kept the BHA-1 on low gain with my HE-560 attached to the 4 pin XLR balanced output. Certainly the power afforded by the BHA-1 helps drive the HE-560 with more...
@SBranson - my experience with earlier Hifiman models was almost exclusively using the velour pads. I did get to try a pair of HE-500s with the pleather pads, but the overwhelming time I've spent with my friend's velour equipped HE-500 has tainted my recollection. My ears are 50 so I'm not too far ahead of you. However, working in the medical industry has always given me the impetus to take good care of my hearing. That and an incident early on in my 20's where the left...