Posts by GotNoRice

Did you check this thread yourself to see which they more closely resemble?  http://www.head-fi.org/t/510110/sony-mdr-v6-counterfeit-comparison-thread-w-pics   Personally, I see a few red flags.   Legit MDR-V6 headphones that are made in China will say "Made in China", as Sony does actually has a factory there.  Legit MDR-V6 headphones don't come out of China saying "Made in Thailand".   Legit MDR-V6 headphones have almost no wrinkles in the headband, yours has quite...
I like my DT990 Pro 250ohm headphones a lot.  I've had them long enough that I'm on my 3rd set of velour pads now.  I power them using my Yamaha C-80 Preamp (~1984) and it works great.   I've built up my stereo over the years (mostly vintage components) to the point where it sounds quite good now.  Problem is, my stereo & speakers now sounds so much better than simply listening to my headphones that every time I am using headphones and hear a song I enjoy, my first...
I am a very happy X-Fi Titanium HD owner, but I have the analog outputs currently running directly into my Yamaha Preamp, which also doubles as my headphone amp.  The times when I've had my computer at a LANparty, etc and had to plug directly into the card to power my headphones, I was less than impressed.  My DT990 Pro headphones are 250ohm though, and that can be tough some cards.
I believe I got mine for ~$90 from a fellow forum member, but $140 is still a good price compared to retail.  It should be a very substantial upgrade over your older X-Fi when it comes to music.
Neither of them have particularly good DACs.  It's the higher end model in each series that has the good DAC (X-Fi Titanium HD, Sound Blaster ZxR).   But what you can do is get an external DAC (NOT a USB model), and then run the Digital output from your current X-Fi to the external DAC.  You would get great game processing AND great music output.
I have always run my Titanium HD at 100% Volume when playing music.  When I first got it, I did extensive back and forth comparisons with my EMU 0404.  Both the EMU 0404 and the Titanium HD had identical output levels during testing, with both at 100% volume.  If 100% was +16dB on the Titanium HD, I don't think that would be the case as that would represent a fairly substantial difference in output.
It shouldn't be much different.  WAV files are basically just CD tracks.   But why not ALAC?
I'm currently using an X-Fi Titanium HD.   I like it, but I'd also like something cheap that lets me get back into tube swapping.  I was looking at the Aune T1, and that is about the price range I'm looking at, but I was disappointed that USB is the only input for the DAC.  Ideally, I'd like to continue using my X-Fi Titanium HD and simply run the digital output from that card to whatever DAC I get.
It's fully possible to have 7.1 surround sound via headphones.   Headphones only have two speakers; you also only have two ears.  It is the way in which the audio is presented to your ears that creates the illusion of surround.