or Connect

Posts by SleepyOne

All this computer audio stuff moves fast, who knows what happens in the next 2 - 3 years? For all we know MQA format might took off & networking is no longer be necessary....
Actually Roon is pretty user friendly in term of system set up & UI...it is just unfortunate that it costs too much...
Actually Roon is not even a streaming service....it is just a music files management software (over network) with a music player built in. You don't get any music with it... I too found it expensive though given I will only be using its music file management function (which is very user friendly for sure) & will need HQPlayer for player. After using Roon for 2 wks I end up preferring Lumin/Minimserver to my surprise (it has better spatial width, detail & tone). BTW you...
Although it will sound crazy but I think Lumin/Minimserver sounds better than kazoo/Minimserver - spatial, detail & bass. They do not have same presentation for some reason. Linn main benefit is the prettier app which is one of your top requirement due to your wife . But both of those will still have similar type of sound signature though. As for LMS I found it a bit plasticky sound & prefers Roon which is somewhat similar sounding but thicker & non digital (although not...
I just tested LMS using microRendu in Squeezelite mode on music files with various sample rates and all seems ok on Hugo too.
I just tested a bunch of music files with different sample rates & all seems working perfectly on my Hugo (clearly indicated by various colours depending on sample rate). I guess this is because microRendu is in DLNA mode. If you have time you could also swap LMS with Minimsever if you want and see which server you prefer. Note with Minimserver both Lumin app & Linn Kazoo app would work ok with it.
In term of user interface could try Roon, JPlay or Linn Kazoo (basic but bit better than LMS).Another option, you could continue to use LMS as server but run microRendu in DLNA mode and use Lumin app (a little bit friendlier than LMS's user interface) on your tablet or mobile to control music selection etc.
Although Hugo uses battery but noise from its PSU does get into sound - you can hear it by unplugging DC plug. Maybe my mains is noisy who knows, whichever way it is annoying. Might consider getting one of iFi filter thing...
Well they sound different. Roon is more organic, non digital but flawed. LMS is somewhat similar in term of 3D but just not as pleasant due to thinner sound & plastickiness. As for Lumin/Linn/Minimserver/DLNA probably worth a try to see whether you like them or LMS - you can switch between Lumin & Linn easily via the app you use on your tablet or phone. All you need is to install Minimserver in you NAS (might also need to install BubbleUpnp Server as well due to openHome,...
That is the question I would like to ask everyone - which is your favorite way to stream music? I am still experimenting & have tried lots of different modes except HQPlayer which I dearly love to test but lost the free trial due to accident on installation. So far for me I don't like LMS so much although it is actually somewhat similar sounding to Roon but just feel thinner & a bit plasticky. Roon on the other hand sound more like music gone though a classic valve amp...