or Connect

Posts by Golden Monkey

YAY for Richard Ashcroft, BOO for Amy Winehouse, lol...
I have a Klein Mantra Comp: It's the last year they built them, 2003. I ditched most of the stock parts, and went all XTR (replaced LX brakes, rear derailleur, shifters, brake levers), Selle San Marco Aspide racing saddle, Easton Monkey Light carbon handlebars, Thompson stem, Marzocchi Marathon air front fork, SRAM 9 spd racing chain, and teflon coated cables, Ti skewers, Eggbeater pedals, King headset, Panaracer Fire XC tires and ultralight tubes (plus a few other...
Has anyone tried the Burson HDAM module in the MKV? Would that even work, aside from space requirements, of course. What about upgrading to their power rectifier modules, would that be of any use (or would that work better in a DAC/CDP)?
You can get a different converter at Radio Shack (or better ones), no worries...
The HDAM is a discrete opamp module, replacing the stock opamps...it's really easy to install, no worries. You can get it as a kit, or a pre-built unit. Here's a link: CLICKY
THe HD650 will certainly require a good amp to drive them properly, and they sound amazing with tubes. Good solid state amps, like my MKV do a great job, but tubes will take you to another realm. No fear of lack of power or authority with tubes, that's for sure. By the way, I went the same route as you...I have the HD590, and they were my first Senns. Loved the sound so much, and moved up to the top shelf with the HD650. Note when you get them that they will NOT...
The Zero with HDAM module is a great "all in one" solution for you, I think. Nice DAC, good headphone stage, and awesome value for the dollar (or Looney, in your case, lol).
Cables are like the last 10% of your system, so go with what works for you and focus on components first. For cables, look for things like good shielding, connectors, and build quality. The Blue Jeans OR the Kimber will be great, and you shouldn't need to spend gigabux on cabling...SO much of it is overpriced, overhyped, buzzworded fluff backed by outrageous unmeasureable claims (unless of course you're already sporting an elite system). A decent Monster Cable or...
Both types of listening are fun, as far as I'm concerned...I love the way music sounds with my gear, and a lot of time, I'm just listening to things because they are so detailed, resolved, etc. It's fun to hear the differences in say, a zinc pipe and a copper pipe (I'm thinking in industrial music terms, like Einsturzende Neubauten), or to hear fingers flying across frets, but this doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment I get from the music itself. A lot of times...
Quick answer - HD600's are a bit more neutral (as in, flatter frequency response), HD650 is warmer and has a more pronounced midrange.