Posts by Steve Eddy

Both planars and dynamic drivers work by way of sending current through wires that are immersed in a fixed magneti field, that's provided by the permanent magnets that are common to the design of both types of speakers. When current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field. That magnetic field, and whatever is producing it is either repelled or attracted by the magnetic field produced by the fixed magnets. So for a given amount of current producing a given...
The load determines current when driven by a voltage source. A current source however delivers a given current and the voltage across the load is determined by the load.Most all amps behave as voltage sources, however there are a few companies, such as BAKOON, who offer current source amplifiers.You can approximate a current source amplifier by using a voltage source amplifier to drive the load through a high value series resistor. Of course the voltage source amp would...
Yup. Should be a nice pairing.se
Yes, I saw that. But I don't have any idea what the reasoning behind it was. I do know however that there's a lot of misunderstanding out there regarding current source amplifiers.se
Basically, keeping all else equal, you can increase a driver's sensitivity by either using a stronger magnet, or by putting more turns of wire on the voice coil. It seems like Audeze has gone for the latter, with their "ultra-high-density voice coil." That would increase the sensitivity as well as the impedance of the voice coil, which appears to be the case her given their 106dB sensitivity. All in all a good thing. A planar with the sensitivity usually reserved for...
No, not current amps. Current amps want to drive low impedances (ideally zero ohms), not high impedances.se
If it's so "TOUGH," then could you please explain how, for example, John Bedini was able to secure more than one patent for his CD "clarifier" which simply spins a CD in a static magnetic field, claiming in the patent itself that doing so not only rearranges the data on the CD, but also results in data compression on the CD? Such claims wouldn't pass the giggle test even with most laypersons.As well, please explain why the same John Bedini was able to secure a patent on a...
Not to mention that the patent office is little more than a rubber stamp these days. Kimber Kable managed to secure a patent on a four lead braided cable design that was previously patented in 1960. But in spite of the prior art, he could have sued anyone making cables of the same design (like many of those making aftermarket headphone cables) and made their lives miserable in the courts. Fortunately Ray took it well when I showed him the 1960 patent and to my knowledge...
No, I mean the study of how we can subjectively perceive things that aren't physically there to be perceived is science.se
Well, psychoacoustics is science, no? se