Posts by JazzJackRabbit

@HKPolice roflmao, please tell me why would I sell it to you at $75 loss when I can just return it to Sennheiser for free? Technically that deal was a one time Sennheiser price mistake, supposedly the 30% off coupon was never intended to go public, so that deal is unlikely to come back any time soon, if ever...   @humidity I searched before making this thread and I couldn't find price lower than 375 for a new pair with 2 year warranty. This is why I decided to try and...
I've got two 2005 Consumer edition DT770's. One for home for when I can't use open headphones, and one for work (damn the stupid office noise generators, I hate you so much). They both came with "newer" ziplock style headband cushions and unfortunately on both the pleather headband cushion has deteriorated quite a bit. Practically as soon as I got them the pleather headband cushion became sticky to the touch. I tried cleaning it thinking the stickiness would go away, but...
Did not realize they're sold for less than $375 online. I'm curious are you talking about ebay/shipped from Hong Kong kind of thing, or are you talking about authorized Sennheiser resellers with full warranty?
*** THERE WERE NO TAKERS, SO HEADPHONES ARE GOING BACK TO SENNHEISER ***   OK, so here's the deal.   I managed to snag two HD650 directly from Sennheiser for $340 shipped. I really only need one pair and have no use for the second one. I have two choices, I can return the second pair to Sennheiser for full refund by refusing the package (really wish Sennheiser had better order management system that would allow you to cancel an order without having to refuse the...
Well, to reply in an old thread of mine, I ended up getting Xonar STX and sold my 1212m on ebay. Surprisingly it still fetched $130+ I think.   Funny how as late 2010 people were whining about PCIe sound cards because "too many people do not have PCIe" slots. Except even in 2010 most new motherboards had more PCIe slots than PCI, now it's practically impossible to find a decent motherboard with PCI slot. They should have seen the writing on the wall, but...
Yes, I own the E-MU 1212m, the old PCI version, not PCIe. Currently I'm using it in windows 7 purely as a playback device, I do not record or master anything. All I do is watch movies and listen to music. I use both SPDIF to route sound to external amplifier and speakers and I also use analog out to route music to amplifier with HD600.   My computer is getting old so I'm thinking of upgrading it and putting Windows 8 on it. Does anyone know if E-MU 1212m PCI will...
Sennheiser should have looked at early replies and changed the design. Or maybe they did look at this thread and did change the design, just not enough for HD800 to look good.
MS-1 and SR-225 look retro if anything. It's true that if somebody saw them for the first time they probably wouldn't know how much they're really worth, however I don't think anyone would argue they look bad. They have very clean and simple lines that please the eye.
Quote: Originally Posted by JaZZ I guess you've never listened to Grados. The metal housings make for a distinct characteristic compared to the plastic brethren. The same goes for metal as membrane material in speaker drivers (where it can have some advantages, but calls for special filters). No I haven't. But if you're right it should be easy to test. Just clamp the housing with your hands to dampen any possible vibrations and see if it changes...
Yes, diaphragm has to push against something, in this case against the magnet system, however the diaphragm itself probably weighs couple of grams at most (total guesstimate here). Such minuscule mass is not nearly enough to excite the metal housing into vibrating. A two gram diaphragm moving couple of millimeters at most against 260 gram headphones will not make it sing.