Posts by Bilavideo

Hole saws come in handy for cutting rings of various sizes for shells, liners, overcoats, inners, etc.  I cut the shells and then cut the grooves.  I use sanders to smooth out the shells.  I sometimes use the grinder to make more radical changes or to grind harder items.  I use the dremel for a variety of tasks because it has all of these cool little tips, brushes, saws, sanders and the like.  The dremel lets me get where other devices can't.  It can also be gentler...
  Don't laugh if it seems a tad simple to get worked up over, but it does seem to provide a step forward.     This is actually a pretty awesome shell but in some instances the shells are cracking during home assembly.  The double wall, which provides an effective grip that doubles the contact surface and holds the shell on without glue or putty, is still a bit fragile.  When a person puts this shell on, it's important to remember to be gentle and careful.  If the inner...
  They're a little more stretched, because of the wider diameter, though it's not drastic.  People always said the bowls were providing a sneaky version of circumaurals.  That's about right.  While I was wearing the bowls this way, I couldn't stop thinking about how to complete the seal by adding another layer to the cushions.   This wood overcoat, which I've nicknamed TrueHats in an effort to throw somebody into diabetic shock, is not intended to be pure audio bliss,...
  No.  Nothing works better than the liberated drivers.  They are the most uncompromising approach you can take.  You start your shell at ground zero.  You surround your driver with the best tonewood.  You get the most shell with the least amount of space.   But not everybody is up to even partial liberation.  Some of us are very much afraid of going anywhere near the drivers, and - after killing a few drivers myself - who can blame 'em?  If a person is going to be stuck...
HOW'S YOUR MAD SCIENTIST WEEKEND?     So, here's the deal.  My wife wants me to go with her to look for a car.  I don't want to go because I know what's going to happen.  They're going to show her a car she'll fall in love with, then they're going to ask me to pick a penny off the show-room floor.  I'll bend over and - well, you get the idea.     So, I was working at the drill press, stamping out some shells and catching up when I got this idea to make...
  Ah, the nightmare of the Grado driver autopsy.  It's like looking at what was left behind by a Salvadoran death squad.   The coil is definitely glued to the diaphragm.  It is not, however, glued to the magnet, but fits within the groove between the magnet and the magnet plate.  It's possible for it to be pulled loose by a strong hit of bass or by a gust of wind pushing through the open backs.  There are, in fact, mysterious driver failure issues that come up, stuff that...
Tonight, while playing catch-up, I had a breakthrough.  I've replaced the "grip" (upper and lower contact surfaces) with a thicker lip and a ring that stops the inner where I want it.  This design squeezes the inner tight but has more durability.     I've had instances where somebody left some glue on the inner, then tried to force the inner into the groove, rubbing against the inner walls until they cracked.  I've also had instances where those little plastic bumps,...
HUMBLE PIE AND WOODEN INNERS   I got stuck this weekend perfecting the art of making inners, which is a much bigger pain than building secondary shells.  I've perfected a process of using 2 3/8" hole saws for the lip, then using a combination of the 2 1/8" for the OD (to create 2" ODs) and 1 3/4" for the ID.  To create the "perfect" cavity, I've used 1 7/8" but to level the grill of the partially-liberated drivers to the face of the lip, I have to widen the OD to at...
  I had an amazing experience one time angling a pair of computer speakers.  By turning them off-axis, I heard sound coming off the walls in parity with whatever sound I was getting from the drivers.  It's a Bose-like trick but one I greatly enjoyed.  To do this with headphones, however, a couple of things would need to be part of the equation.  Just angling the driver, by itself, doesn't work.  What you want is reflection ghosting alongside the on-axis presentation....
  Nice job, man!  The plot thickens!