Posts by Bilavideo

I can finally see the whites of my toes, peering out from the purple.  My right foot feels like a piece of meat after Rocky has gotten his knuckles warmed up but I'm ditching the crutches for a Dr. House cane.  To celebrate, I bought a mini lathe.  In what may be the purest act of love yet, my wife let me turn some wood on her dining table.  This weekend was spent lazing and lathing.  Your inners are on their way.  
  Hey guys, long time, right?  I haven't been on lately.  I took a spill in the kiddie park and really screwed up my foot.  It's not broken, just some torn ligaments, nothing a little time and some babying won't heal.   About using the K701 for metal . . . Don't.  The K701's best quality is this lightness it has, a lightness that leaves it a little anemic when it comes to bass.  Unless you have a very warm amp, it's a lousy fit.  The K701 is a terrific headphone for...
  Everything has an effect, but it's not like switching a light on or off.  It's a seamless gradation.  The size of the cup is a factor, but so is its distance from the driver.  One reason I make a big deal about woodying up the primary stage or inner is that it brings this material closer to the driver.  Sound energy dissipates with distance.  The closer you can get your shell to the Ground Zero of the shell, the more you can get out of less.     If I could, I would...
  Stunning!  Now, I have a question.  What did you do to shine those up?
  The wire, itself, doesn't have a sound.  Its virtue is that of a conductor.  Silver conducts better than copper.  On the other hand, for the difference in price between them, you can double the copper and halve your impedance.  Where silver makes the most difference is in the HF.  There's a phenomenon/theory known as the "skin effect."  It says that the higher the frequency, the shallower the depth of penetration utilizing the conductive material.  This is the reason...
Here is an HF2 version of an SR325.  Working out the logistics took me a while (with the freaking hole saw) and drove me a little nuts, but I wanted to put it up here.  I'm in the process of sending some version of this to different people.  I appreciate the patience of all who waited for me to get the specs right.  We just went through FCAT testing, and time has been a real "unobtainium" down here in downtown Pandora.   Special thanks to Shwallman who lent me his...
I don't believe there are any headphones that are really "neutral."  I do believe that some headphones have grotesque coloration while other headphones snuff the very life out of the headphone by trying to correct it to some artificial notion of neutrality.     I prefer the HD800 to the T1, for example, because I don't care for the midbass coloration of the T1 but it's precisely that coloration that makes the T1 a more engaging rocker than the HD800.  If I'm...
  The very best way to reduce resonance is to go completely shell free.  I did this early on and found the presentation much more open.  But without a shell, bass response is quite limited.  The purpose of shells, then, is to get some of that back, without sacrificing too much openness.  The K1000 had the most open design but produced such limited bass (while also being bulky and expensive) that AKG replaced it with the K701, which has more bass but is still notoriously...
The holes are an imitation of the holes used on loudspeakers.  Considering the extremely low wattage involved, the need for ventilation is a bit iffy.  I've covered those holes routinely and never noticed any difference.  I don't know of any cold hard proof, one way or another, but one fact of interest is the number of manufacturers who don't make those holes and seem to be doing just fine.  I think your theory about headphone manufacturers imitating loudspeaker designs...
  Would you PM me again?  I've gone through five pages of PMs and could not find yours.