Posts by Bilavideo

I'M GOING ALL IN   Saturday was spent cutting, sanding, lathing and lacquering but the purchase of that milling vise threw everything for a loop.  It takes up so much vertical space that it wouldn't fit underneath my 10" drill press.  My wife suggested I just take it back.  My son suggested I remove the bed and work from the bottom of the machine.  Instead, I bought this:     My wallet is now on fire.  Talk about two steps forward, three steps back!  But...
NEW TOY   It's a milling vise.  It lets me center objects for drill-press work and gives me control over the X and Y axis.  Absent a three- or four-jaw self-centering chuck for the lathe, I've found the best way to center objects for lathe work is to leave the center uncut until after I've completed the lathe work.  The challenge has been to go back to the drill press and hold the object in place without having something, like the rest of the board, to hold it in...
Baby Lather IV (update)
Everybody, I'm late to take my six-year-old to a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese, but I wanted to share something really cool.  While working on a project, I had one of those "bilavideo moments."  Think of it as Alzheimers in reverse.  Long story short, I've redesigned the "skinnies."  The new lathe has opened up a new window of opportunity to create what is essentially a "shell within a shell" - completely out of fine tonewood.  I just spent the last three-and-a-half...
  I like to use the softwoods to make demos.  Pine and a few others are easy to cut and less expensive to mangle.   This is the moment of truth.  I can't tell you how excited I am.  It's as if so many tumblers are falling into place.   Pine IS a cool wood to work with.  It's sonically quite neutral and it's very lightweight.  I also think it has a nice look to it when lacquered.  It's just more vulnerable to knocks and bumps than hardwood.  Knowing its structural...
BABY LATHER - PART III   Okay, here's what happened when I went wider with the mushroom top.     Like its predecessor, this is a rush job, a prototype made with pine and a single, sloppy coat of lacquer.  It's an unfinished work in progress but I think shows the difference a lathe - even a cheap one - can bring to the table.     I'm not 100% on the height.  I think I may need to cut back a little to lower the profile, which is fairly easy to do with...
  Thanks!  I appreciate your straight-talking feedback.  You helped me take the next step.  
The Baby Lather - Part II   I'm still learning the lathe but I wanted to share my next experiment with the great machine.  I wasn't able to find or rig up a claw or other device to get beyond the basic chucks that come with it - at least not locally.  There's some hardwire I could buy online but I'd have to wait for it to show up.  After tossing and turning on the matter, I came to the conclusion that I was doing some of my steps in the wrong order.  So, this time, I...
This weekend, I got my feet wet with the new lathe.  I have a much bigger one (under a tarp in the back yard) but I wanted something smaller to get started with.  This one is very basic, but it's the next logical step from the various layered cuts going into my drill-pressed shells.  A number of you have much better lathes, but that's okay.  My role, in all of this, was not to make the best shells but to act as cheerleader for those of us who might never got off the...
Yeppers!