Posts by Bilavideo

Whenever someone belittles you for the headphones you're wearing, the issue is not sound but fashion.  To those who come to HeadFi for the sound, there is little interest or need to attack someone else's choices.  Why should I care what you are listening to?  But when a person uses a headphone as a fashion accessory, the same catty middle-school cr@p goes on as if we were talking about who had the best sunglasses, bling, overpriced shoes, Barbie cars, you name...
I've been shelling this weekend, shelling like it's 1999.  JamesMcProgger suggested I post some of the docu-photos, as a mini-tutorial on making a GS1000 "and love out of nothing at all."  (I wonder if Bonnie Tyler is a Grado fan.)   In weather news, somebody just had a total eclipse of the heart.  (More Bonnie Tyler jokes are available in the book, Bimbo Anthems of the 80s.)   I was feeling board so I thought I wood lumber through this piece.   The...
I think Grados are popular because of their mids, which are rich and flat and fun.  Human beings are midrange detectors.  The midrange is where we live.  Most of the sound that we associate with our existence comes from the midrange.  It's the sound of human speech, the sound of most instruments, the "detail" area of the music, as opposed to "presence" frequencies at the top and bottom of the audible spectrum.   Grados do mids really well.  They don't filter the...
The metal/plastic junction at the rod holder is purely adhesive.  There's a tight fit so maybe friction deserves some credit but without an adhesive "down in the hole," you won't have metal there for very long.  The JB Weld was a good call.
Has anybody heard from Ed?  Is he okay?  
  You're absolutely right.  For the occasional job, you can't beat Harbor Freight, which had the only lathes I could buy within an hour of my house. They don't sell lathes at Lowe's or Home Depot, Builders Square or Ace TrueValue.  You can get some sweet deals online, but the shipping is pretty stiff, given the weight of the item.  I bought from Harbor Freight so I could get my feet wet with the lathe, and I did pay for the extended service plan, which made taking it...
Guys, I'm back!  I'm sorry to be out of it for the last week or so.  It has been a crappy week. (Can I say that?) I hurt my shoulder last weekend and kept getting shooting pains every time I lifted my arm.  By Tuesday, things were better but then my lathe died!  I have since taken it in and gotten a complete replacement for it.  I'm currently working out in the carport.  If you need to get in touch with me, send me a PM.  I'll be back with you tonight.   Bill
Marvelous work!  I can't say enough about the commitment to sound excellence!  I may have to wait till payday to buy this album, but buy it I will!  I want to support those who support HeadFi.  Excellent work and kudos to all!
    A drill press allows you to vertically pull a drill bit down on top of something for smooth, reliable drilling or cutting.   In the past, I've used a drill press to make shells with hole saws.  I've since obtained a lathe, which allows me to bevel, shape and contour my shells.  I've found that the two tools work well together.  Using a drill press, I can simplify the lathing process by pre-shaping the piece I'm going to lathe.  The milling vise helps me to position...
I'm pretty sure at least one of these pictures can be found in the dictionary under "taking things to an unhealthy level."